Newbee, help please

Hi all

As I've said before, I'm a complete novice at all this so I will prob ask some silly questions over the winter.

I want to, and need to, do some work on her over the winter but time available is not as I would want.

So far i have the gear box, OD, and clutch out.

Gearbox is fine but clutch and OD need work/replacing. That end of things is under control, so no probs there. I do however need to do some cleaning up of rust on the underside rear (boot) and various small areas under the carpets, before I fit a new set.

So heres my first few questions

- Can/should I leave the car up on axle stands for a prolonged period ? Or would this be a problem ? Should I leave the doors shut, or open when up on stands ? or does it matter either way ?

It will prob take me a few mths to get all the work done, due to time constraints. Is this too long to leave the weight on at just 4 points ?

-As I said I need to do some wire brush, grinding work, and then touch up these areas afterwards.

Any advice as what would be the best products to use ? Is there a straight on paint, or should I use a primer first and then paint ?

Again sorry if these seem like silly questions, but sure we all have to start somewhere :P

Many thanks in advance

Kevin

Picture137.jpg

Hiu Keving.

I would recommend using large sections of timber along the chassis rails (say 2" x 3" approx 12 -24" long) to help "spread" the load point contact - these being based upon 4No axel stands to support the car.

Take the wheels off and If you afford / borrow etc anothe 4No axel stands - put them under each suspension unit /wheel area - (again use a small section of timber to spread the load) with just enough take up to raise the suspension to 1/4 - 3/4 way up its travel, but not far enough to carry the weight of the car.

Make sure the doors are kept shut at all times - only open them for short durations when necessary.

Always use a primer as a first coat to afford protection to the newly refurbed area and ensure these repaired areas are clean and dry before applying the primer - BUT please ensure that you DO APPLY the primer to any bare metalwork at the completion of each day's / evening's work (rust loves clean damp metal).

Hope this helps you on your quest.

Pat

Hi Kevin

We did a Technical evening on this subject around this time last year in O'Flahertys on Richmond Road - Dec (O'Flaherty) went through all the products the trade use - I'll check it out

Also if you are leaving flywheel exposed i.e. with clutch removed, be sure to cover it so that the 'moisture rust' is kept at bay.

Regards

Edited by B Fitzpatrick