Next July I will have owned my TR6 for 40 years (Man & Boy) Over the years I have logged everything I've done to it and with it...but never had I gotten around to asking the DVLA about the original owner who put the first 16,000 miles on the clock. Until recently that is...

So I sent off my 5 quid and three weeks later came back 4 sheets of A4 with all sorts of information all about me! Apparently they think I was the first owner...So I sent it all straight back to them with all manner of rude notations!

Edited by Denis

Hi Denis,

there are gaps in their records when you go back to the paper log books. Not all info was transfered over.

I did the same last year and the first owner, Phil Gent, was not on it. It appear to have started in 1970 with the second owner.

You will not get any further with the DVLA as that is all they have.

Roger

hi

Just been on the dvla website to try and find out which bit of it i should send my fiver off to !

Does anybody have the post code for this history check ?

thanks

After my experience I wouldn't bother!

But for what it's worth, Mine came from: Beverley Jones DVRE2_AAD7 Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency Longview Road Swansea SA991AJ

Hi Denis,

there are gaps in their records when you go back to the paper log books. Not all info was transfered over.

I did the same last year and the first owner, Phil Gent, was not on it. It appear to have started in 1970 with the second owner.

You will not get any further with the DVLA as that is all they have.

Roger

So much for their 'Service of Customer Excellence' logo on each page then! Not my idea of Excellence!

Hi Denis,

in isolation with todays massive computers and data being spouted everywhere you would think records would be easy.

But, when the DVLA started to computerise the old log books it was a rather hit and miss situation.

All sorts of problems got in their way to do the job properly.

If you know where your car was first licensed it may be possible to search the council files.

Roger

hi

Just been on the dvla website to try and find out which bit of it i should send my fiver off to !

Does anybody have the post code for this history check ?

thanks

Don't send your fiver to the address given by Denis. You must use the correct form V888 or they will just send your cheque back. The address is in the notes.

http://www.direct.go...icle/DG_4022067

You can download the form from the above link.

Denis/Roger

I'm sorry that you did not get all the info you should have. I did get all mine but my car was first registered in 1972 so maybe the problems relate to before then. I do know that the early stuff is not computerised but held on microfiche which has to be ordered from a central archive by the person handling your enquiry. I wonder if I just struck lucky with a diligent case officer but obviously I think, for the info I received, it was a fiver well spent.

Edited by Ragtag

Last time I did one for a TR2 (not my one unfortunately which I am still trying to even find its reg number :( ) I got everything back to its original brown logbook which was a major bonus so it does look like Dennis was unlucky.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

If you know the county in which the reg no was first issued you can try their records office. I`ve used this to good effect both for my TR and a 1947 MG TC! Steve.

If you know the county in which the reg no was first issued you can try their records office. I`ve used this to good effect both for my TR and a 1947 MG TC! Steve.

Hmm...that's a good idea...So who knows what area LBH 488H might be then?

When I was a kid I had an 'I SPY' book that had the areas for differant letter combinations.

Denis,

LBH 488H was issued in Buckinghamshire in August 1969. Records for this series can supposedly be found at the County Records & Local Studies Service, County Hall, Ayslesbury, Bucks, HP20 1UU, tel 01926 382587. My info is from 1998 so may well have moved by now or even closed with the latest round of government cuts.

cheers

Derek

David,

You are right of course the code for Aylesbury is indeed 01296, I just took the original phone number from the book "How to trace the History of Your Car" assuming it was correct. So number should be 01296 382587. This number is still current as I have just checked it out on the web.

cheers

Derek

The DVLA just sent me an appology and this time included a photocopy of my cars original old type Green Log Book. Now at last I can see the name of the original owner. So thank you DVLA all is forgiven! :):)

Denis,

LBH 488H was issued in Buckinghamshire in August 1969. Records for this series can supposedly be found at the County Records & Local Studies Service, County Hall, Ayslesbury, Bucks, HP20 1UU, tel 01926 382587. My info is from 1998 so may well have moved by now or even closed with the latest round of government cuts.

cheers

Derek

Ah! Buckinghamshire wasn't clear on the DVLA copy of the original Log Book, so thank you very much indeed Derek for that extra piece of info. Interestingly the first owner of my car, first registered it in December 1969 and lived in Westcliff-on-Sea Essex. Additional entries are two Car Dealers both in London. I bought it in July 1972 from the second of those Dealers. I can only guess it was trader to trader sale?

• 1 month later...

hi

Just like to say each to there own .I used this service and found out alot from the man i wrote to

who purchased it new in 73 and sold it 50000 miles later in 85 . Talking to him and he was only 22

when he bought it i realise what a babe magnet our cars were in the 70s.

Are they still ?

I only had good service from the V888 form and DVLA, well worth a fiver, you were unlucky, however they can only send what they have?