Lucas Fog and Driving Lights

I will be fitting the lights when I get my car back from it's holiday at Aldon Classics. Does anyone know if they need to be wired on one switch or two. I don't want to be getting into trouble with PC Plod.

I know it's not a TR, but on my Rover P6 (1971), classic Lucas Square 8 lamps were usually sold in pairs - one fog and one driving lamp. The idea being that the driving light was fitted to the offside to light up the way ahead, and one fog on the near side to light up the kerb. Then when you switched on your fog lamps, your headlamps would switch off - because these old cars never had relays and the full current goes through the headlamp switch - you couldn't have all four lamps through the one switch, hence one driving lamp and one fog lamp. (I know that's Rover P6 specific when I talk about the headlamp switch)

How many lamps are you fitting? If you're fitting two of each, then I'd suggest that you need two switches as you shouldn't have both on at once, but not sure.

Perhaps a look here at the official MOT testers manual, that should hopefully have the answers as to what is deemed road legal.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

Bri.

Hi Tony, your spotlamp should be wired in-series with your headlamp main beam via an 'on/off' switch, so when you 'dip' the spotlight goes out. Spotlamps, by law, should be fitted at the same height as your headlamps. (24" from road level to the centre of the lamp, I believe). Consider using relays in the circuit which give improved light performance and safeguard the wiring circuit/switches etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tom.

Hi Tony, The enclosed is a bit boring but hopefully answers your worries about location and regs regarding whether they are additional lights or instead of the standard lights. Doesn't seem to be much to worry about if they are additional.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Made 28th September 1989

Laid before Parliament 11th October 1989

Coming into force 1st November 1989

Part 1 Schedule 5 (regulation 18 & 20) Requirements relating to obligatory main-beam headlamps and to optional main-beam headlamps to the extent specified in part 2

1. Number- a) Two

2. Position- a) Longitudinal: No requirement

B) Lateral- i)Where two main headlamps are required to be fitted-

(A)Maximum distance from the side of the vehicle: The outer edges of the illuminated areas must in no case be closer to the side of the vehicle than the outer edges of the illuminated areas of the obligatory dipped-beam headlamps.

c) Vertical: No requirement

5. Markings- a) An approval mark or a British Standard mark

7. Colour: White or Yellow

8. Wattage- a) No requirement

10. Electrical connections- a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the light emitted therefrom

i) can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam or,

ii) can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either-

A) causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or

B) causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam.

12. Other requirements- a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the direction of the beam of light emitted therefrom can be adjusted whilst the vehicle is stationary.

Part 2 Schedule 6 (regulation 20) Requirements relating to optional front fog lamps

1. Number- a) No requirement

2. Position- a) Longitudinal: No requirement

B) Lateral-

i) Where a pair of front fog lamps is used in conditions of seriously reduced visibility in place of the obligatory dipped beam headlamps-

Maximum distance from side of vehicle: 400mm

ii) In all other cases: No requirement

c) Vertical-

i) Maximum height above the ground-

A) 1200mm

ii) Minimum height above the ground: No requirement

4. Alignment: To the front and so aimed that the upper edge of the beam is, as near as practicable, 3 per cent below the horizontal when the vehicle is at its kerbside weight and has a weight of 75 kg on the driver's seat

7. Colour: White or yellow (12/99)