Anyone of you have experience with Millers classic or classic sport semi synthetic?

I personally use comma 20/50 and change it every year!!  Millers and penrite in my book are too expensive....#

Beware using synthetic oils in old engines the strip all the crud out of the block and I was advised by my college teacher that he has seen seized engines as a result!!

Beware using synthetic oils in old engines the strip all the crud out of the block and I was advised by my college teacher that he has seen seized engines as a result!!

That's right, but if the engine has been rebuild, there is no crud and you can start with about any oil. Modern (synthetic) oil have to cope with the very tight tolerances and the need for quick lubrication of the complicated cylinder heads of the modern engines when starting from cold.

Since 15 years I use the grafited oil Marly Black Gold Carat : they claim much less friction and I  believe it. A minor drawback : it's a bit messy because it's black. A full synthetic version of this oil is named Black Gold Carat S : same properties, but slower degrading : worth a try in racing cars.

Jon - the label does mention colloidal graphite, no molybdenum. Black Gold Carat is a semi-synthetic oil, Black Gold Carat S is full synthetic.

colloidal graphite

That's why it's black then.   Graphite has very low friction characteristics because of its molecular shape, sort of like slate, in very thin layers which slide over each-other.  It used to be used for the black in pencil leads, with china clay.

Thanks for your replies. Changing oiul once a year is not my thing as the total km's per year would not allow so. I would also not save on quality because of the lower price ( I have no experience with comma though).

I intend to use a semi synthetic, like Milers Classic Sport, because it can better cope with higher oil temperatures and would not degrade that quick due to intensive (rally)use.

When I was ordering Marly Carat S oil (fully synthetic, with graphite) I asked the representative if it was true that this oil was slower degrading than the semi synthetic : he said they've done tests with it : after 60.000km the oil was still very good and could be used still longer. He added that they don't make much noise about this results considering the reactions of the garages.

I use Millers semi synthetic Classic Sport in my Hillclimb/Sprint car and is very good. Yes it is expensive but I only need to change it once a year as opposed to twice with Duckhams or Penrite. Millers do a free analysis if you have problems with the engine.

I would have thought it OTT for just road use but for any sort of competition very good.

Regards

John

Guest longjohn

Spoke to Morris Oils rep who we have dealt with for many years about suitable oil to use in the TR and mentioned Penrite, he told me that his company supply the oil to Penrite who then package it up and sell at inflated price. Morris sells it under their own brand name at half the price so i bought some, works a treat, may not be the stuff for racing but its perfect for every day use.

Jhn