New owner of TR3A seeks guidance

My father recently passed away and has left me his TR3A. He had had some work done on it to restore it (in mostly original fashion although I understand there is one fibreglass panel). It looks wonderful.

It's a lovely family heirloom to keep in the family but currently costs me a fortune since I've garaged it London asi live in a flat in the centre of town.

It's probably not very suitble for me at this time of life but I'd loves to keep it as long as the economics aren't too scary.

Can someone give me an idea if it will appreciate in value?

I'm looking for something to counterbalance the quite material costs of garage rental here in london (even in the more remote suburbs where it stored now)...

I also wonder whether anyone has any experience of longer term storage companies. I won't be in London forever and it might be good to put it somewhere safe until my life has a better place for it...

It's a beautiful car that puts a smile on your face when you see it and was my fathers pride and joy..

Hope this finds you all well

Best

In my humble view if you are not going to use it on a regular basis, and it is going to cost significant money to store and protect it. it should be sold and enjoyed by someone who can properly appreciate it. These cars are not inanimate heirlooms, appreciation is a minor offset to the overall costs, and they deteriorate without regular use and attention.

In my view apart from perhaps art and antiques, they is no point in having anything that is not regularly used including the wife. All you are doing is depriving others of the pleasure.

David .

Egriff

Old Brit sports cars are doing better than most in at least keeping pace with inflation. Parts are cheap and they are fairly easy to work on too, but they are crude and very old fashioned, so I'd drive it and see if you enjoy the experience and, if you do and your father meant a lot to you, it make sense to try and store it safely until you can use it more frequently. One thing you can guarantee is that if you sell it, you'll never be able to buy another unless you make a fortune.

I paid £1000 for my E Type and £1350 for my DB5 and couldn't afford either now, so am slumming it with this lot! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ashley James

All cars need regular use if they are not to deteriorate particularly older ones.

There is a long term storage company near me (Hampshire) who offer a range of options costing £30-40 per week which I suspect may not be much more than you are paying in London. http://www.classicca...uk/options.html

As for appreciation who can tell, prices have gone up a lot over the last couple of years but could just as easily go down again - remember the late 80s/early 90s.

Mike

About a year or so ago, I visited LIMN Historics, which is based at Twyford, Bucks - not to be confused with the other Twyford (Berks?). This is Twyford lies between Aylesbury and Buckingham, roughly west of Padbury. Not only do LIMN do splendid work on classic cars, but there is an associated and amazing dry storage warehouse, too - the website for the store is buckinghamcarstorage.co.uk. I have absolutely no idea about charges, but I was impressed with the conditions and the security.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with Mike that cars need to be used regularly. All too often one hears of cars which have been off the road for the winter then suffering a series of minor and exceedingly annoying problems and breakdowns when the wheels start to turn again in the spring. The only time my TR doesn't go on the roads is when there is salt about - other than that, I use it regularly in winter. And when it goes out, I warm it up properly - not sitting in the drive on choke, but by driving it down the road using not too many revs until the water and the oil have got warm. Then I give it some welly - because it's fun but also because it's better for being driven hard. That way, brake pistons don't get stuck, clutch works properly, bearing seals work properly and everything gets nicely warm.

Ian Cornish

........I'm looking for something to counterbalance the quite material costs of garage rental here in london (even in the more remote suburbs where it stored now)...I also wonder whether anyone has any experience of longer term storage companies.

I stored TuRK (my 3A) and VUX (my 6) for 3 weeks recently at Jordons Car Storage near Cranleigh (just south of Guildford) for £20 + vat per car per week. Excellent facility!

Give Marc or Ricard a call on 01403 822 336, their website is here: http://www.jordansca....com/index.html

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

You must absolutely keep the car and when you are older it will give you great joy and a hobby. It will increase in value and your dividend is the driving. In terms of investment it will beat your investment funds.It is better if used but being your fathers car you must not sell it.

My own 3A was off the road for 17 years following a small accident and I am very glad that 25 years on I am able to attend the international in my own long term ownership car. I have a garage in Putney and will ask the agents if there are any more available on the site.

Good Luck

Hi Egriff,

and welcome !

First priority, drive the car, see if you actually enjoy driving it, as opposed to just looking at it. Bear in mind it'll take a bit of getting used to, and at least pick a pleasant sunny day !!

Second priority, toddle along in the TR to a local group meeting and see if the chaps are to your liking.

Only then can you move forward, one way or another.

Road tax costs nothing, insurance is modest (even in London), and whilst the car may not appreciate in real terms, it will in all probability hold its value one heck of a lot better than a modern weekend toy.

Parts and maintenance need not cost a packet, not forgetting that servicing comes cheaper than neglect and repair. Storage won't be cheap, but then neither is storage for a modern toy.

As already observed, use it or lose it - if the TR sits in a garage most of the year, with no more than a couple or three outings annually, it will deteriorate and rapidly become a disappointment and a liability.

A TR, any TR, is far from being a foolproof alternative financial investment. It can all too easily become the opposite.

On the other hand, it can all too easily become the key to an alternative lifestyle.

Many a TR owner bought his or her car on a whim, just a short term exercise, and before too long realised they'd bought a lifestyle, not just a car. 10, 20, 40 years on and they're still TRing. In contrast to so many leisure activities, your day job and the thickness of your wallet doesn't count for much (if anything) in the TR world. The car's the star, the tie that binds us, and there's a world wide cameraderie that whilst not unique is nevertheless a precious rarity.

Take the time to browse through this Forum, that might offer some insight into what I'm rambling about ! Join the TR Register, read TR Action, and most of all make time for TR International Weekend at Malvern in late July. In a year's time you'll know whether or not your father's TR still has a long term place in the family.

If it does, wonderful - if not, then you'll have the pleasure of finding a good home for the car, and the Register and this Forum will be here to assist.

Cheers,

Alec

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to thank you all for your thoughtful responses - great to hear this body of advice and support! Much appreciated.

Foolishly I expected to be emailed when there was a response so only just saw these promptly posted replies just now (maybe there is an option for this).

Thanks again.

I've had the opportunity to take the car out for a drive a couple fo times in this late indian summer - its terrific fun. I've been in a car and been on the receiving end of so many smiles and waves!!!

Sadly the car will remain something of an occasional pleasure until I leave central london. I hear David on his use or lose it theme but theres something about keeping it tucked away until I have more time/space for it. I'm trying to figure that out. I agree it needs to be used tho; seems a shame otherwise..

Thanks to Mike, Ian and Andrew for storage options - I'm following those up now. Happily some of them include regular drives out for the car...

Thx to Alec for his thoughts too - I may see some of you at Malvern next year - I've family in the neighbourhood too.

Altogether a great introduction to he community which means alot - so very appreciated.

Hope this finds you all well

Take a fools advice~ I was offered a pristine condition 1963 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7 Convertible in 1976 for £800. Sadly I didn't go for it ~ Now just look at the prices (and they are still rising!) Hang on to your TR until the bitter end ~ you wont regret it believe me.

Regards

Tom. (TR3A UFN 878)

Take a fools advice~ I was offered a pristine condition 1963 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7 Convertible in 1976 for £800. Sadly I didn't go for it ~ Now just look at the prices (and they are still rising!) Hang on to your TR until the bitter end ~ you wont regret it believe me.

Regards

Tom. (TR3A UFN 878)

Ha , glad Im not the only one , was offered one as my first car back in 84 for a few hundred . My Dad refused to lend me the dough and made me buy a Beetle . Still dont talk much to my parents. :(