Only the best navigators in the world will be able to handle such a demanding schedule. Oh, by the way, is it going to be pre-plot or not. Would love to have it as plot and bash really. Sort boys from men, or something like that! See you at LE. Cheers Ryan

Thinking about it, it reminds me of a long, twisty and tight night section on (I think) the Rallye Bristowe back in the early 90's. As the controls came quicker and quicker down a sequence of small lanes with a number of junctions, we went from waiting outside a control for the right minute, to checking in 10 seconds into our minute....25 seconds in......40 seconds in.........55 seconds................. And as the roads continued to be VERY tight, we knew we'd be late at the next one. (I've always thought the best night sections have one or two of these sequences that, even while you're driving them, you KNOW are designed to sort out the order - the Welsh Rally Retro used to run a series of controls about half a mile apart up on the Eppynt ranges which it was just IMPOSSIBLE to clean unless you were INCH perfect...in the dark....with no discernable features to help you :blink: )

Well, we raced into the next control probably 15-20 seconds late and, as is (was?) standard rally practice, poked the timecard out of the window and asked for the minute we were DUE - knowing that it had already passed. And as luck would have it, the marshall had only JUST recovered from falling into the stream in the ditch at the side of the road (taking a "comfort" break) and so was not fully on top of his game...! He wrote down the time we'd asked for and we sped off expecting to have only delayed the inevitable until the NEXT control - and this was just at the point that the roads opened up with a mile or so of B-road where we could regain our lost time.

The result was that we were the only crew to "clean" the night section - and it was the only night section that I have ever had a clean run on. We didn't win, but we had everyone's respect...

Moral of the tale? Keep pressing on, no matter what - you never know what you'll find in the next mile of road or after the next junction. Oh, and always ask for the time you WANT, not that time that it IS.

It sounds like it will be a blast, guys. One of these days...................................

Edited by TorontoTim

Good advice Tim ..... Willy Cave said the same thing to me ..... always ask for the time you want ! never the time, so be on the ball and get it right!

Ryan - its been pre plot and plot & bash, so knowing JK he will mix it - it will be a great section for sure.

Im also trying to get a blog organised so that we can touch in from main controls through the rally ..... we will see as any problems en route and the time for blogging vanishes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we've had a snow-free Wales Rally GB and Winter Challenge, but the weather turned snowy last night in some areas for the final stages of the Roger Albert Clark Rally so it's obviously gearing up for the main assault - starting this coming weekend.......

We will be watching at the [Hare and Hounds Inn] at Crowton, Cheshire, There will be Bacon butts and Coffee at 10,30 am,

It is our local pub just down the road, there should be a few more classic cars down there,

some of the regulars will be bringing there classic cars down also, the landlord has an E Type and an old Mini

I will be there in my TR6 on route to the Red Rose Christmas Buffet at Antrobus.

Good luck

Cheers Gordon

Excellent !

Bad news is that Im nursing a fracture in my right hand, Nick and Chris in the other TR4 are out already ..... but the good news is that Richard is on the button and the car is (as usual) right up there and TR Enterprises stepped in when I ran out of time to make sure the wheels will keep turning. Looks like fun so we're all getting a but excited.

Ive got the Vredestein Snowtrac's to go on in the morning in Reading then a nce tootle down to Exeter to meet the Magnificent Mr Lambley and Jonno and Charlie will be down there tomorrow night in the 2000. There are a couple of other Triumphs in other classes ... a Dutch TR3a with a very experienced crew, a TR4a and at least one TR6.

If all goes well we should be able to keep up a blog as we go, certainly at the MTC's where we are allowed to switch a phone on.Ive tried it out a few times so we should be able to get some pics and results up as we move up the Country. Obviously if I fling it in a ditch we'll just go shopping .....

Ive also got my steel brakes back on the rear so Ill finish writing up the tests on rear brake drums that Ive been doing all year .... Ive no doubt that one of the manufacturers of the 10 inch alloy drums will be as disapponted with the results as I was of their product and services.

Similarly Ive run 5 different tyres this year in varying conditions and the good news is that there are some great tyres available in the right sizes for TR2 to TR4a and at various prices, some of which are exceedingly good!

http://bluebeastie.wordpress.com/

Regards

Tony

Better bring your wellies, flotation devices and nail anything down thats loose Tony as its raining sideways down here :wacko::lol:

Where is the Imerys stage as they are just up the road from me and I will come up and take some pics.

Stuart

Hi Stuart ... as far as I can tell we are either in the quarry (! yeah!!!) or their car park (boooooo !) .... we wont know til we get there as its all secret and no recce allowed, so you might well know more than I do by the time we get there.

I spoke to our friend who has the B&B we stay in down in Sennen and she said similar, so everything is wrapped up tight and waterproof.

The only problem we have (which is a serious issue) is that we have a black tie dinner on Friday night, and its customary for me to wear full highland dress ......

"The only problem we have (which is a serious issue) is that we have a black tie dinner on Friday night, and its customary for me to wear full highland dress ...... "

So what's the problem then laddie, is it nay waterproof then ? Panic ye not, it doesn't often rain indoors in Cornwall. :rolleyes:

Best of luck ! ;)

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Folks,

Malcolm Ling, a register member, is marshalling at Howle on Sunday morning and me and Grafton are going along to help him hold the paperwork, drink the coffee, eat the butties and generally have a good time.

We'll be looking out for my mate Any Lane in his Merc, as rumour has it that he's getting too old to do it in a TR! :ph34r:

By the way, for those of you who have been following my 'How Do I Load A Picture' thread, you will notice that I now have G on its side, rather than my TR as I was trying to show Grafton how to load a picture and now I've lost mine! :wacko: Well, you have to laugh, don't you?

Good luck to everyone.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Ashworth

Looking forward to watching it at Market Drayton tomorrow :)

I'm fascinated by the photo of BST's interior - perhaps we could convince Tony to do an article for TRA on what all the knobs, dials, switches and the other thingy-gubbins are for?

Regards

Peter

Stuart,

That's an interesting photo of the TR4A, which sports a Pembrokeshire registration but is crewed by a couple of italian guys. I used to live in Pembrokeshire in those days and there weren't many TRs around then. I always wonder where they lived when I see one with that local reg.

Thanks for the photos.

Dave

Tony has written a very interesting, detailed and helpful article for TR Action - I would expect to see it in the next edition. I won't reveal the subject, but I can promise you that rally folk will love it!

Ian Cornish

Hi Peter,

TR6 number 59 came through our Control at Howle, looking and sounding well, although he was the last car we checked through the time clock. I did comment to them that magenta was the only colour for a TR6! :ph34r:

The rear course car told us that 44 cars left Telford and only 33 passed through our Control.

I did notice, however, that there were quite a few cars in Peter's photos that didn't pass us, although those doing the tour weren't coming our way anyway.

The Morgan, number 10, apparently blew its engine shortly after passing us.

Dave.