Which tyres?

Guest mna73

Hello,

Anyone in here who has tried Michelin XZX or Vredestein Sprint Classic tyres? I 'll probably go for one of them in the size 165 R15. Other recomendations are also welcome:-)

Regards,

Michael

I ran with the Michelin 165 SR 15 tires on steel rims on my 1958 TR3a from 1990 ($400.00 CDN for the 4 at that time) until 2001.  During that 11 year period I drove "TRusty" 53,000 miles.  I was in Iowa when I started to get tire separation so I opted for 4 new 165 R 15 Kelly/Springfield "Centreds".  With these I got 30,000 miles.  These are mainly for the old VW Beetle.  More tire separation on one tire where the steel wheel rim must have been bent.

Next week, I am now going to have 4 new Vredestein 165 R 15 (S rating up to 190 km/h) installed.  These will be about $400.00 for the 4 tires all installed and balanced.  The Michelin moulds have been sold to Coker in USA who, I heard are having them made in Venezuela.  I have heard about quality rumours.  4 new Michelin tires installed and balanced - imported here to Canada from USA would cost me over $1000.00 CDN.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG