TR 4 seat manufacturer

Yesterday I was stripping the front seat cushion upholstery from an early TR4. Inside the seat I found a tag jammed between the springs and horsehair padding that had a partial name of the manufacturer. It was ***ALOK LTD.

Can anyone tell me the name of the company that made the seats for Triumph?

Thanks,

Gary

Perhaps the complete information on this tag may help. The tag is 2" wide by 1-1/2" high with a horizontal perforation on the center line. It has a piece missing and some dark staining. I tried to take photos, but the printing does not appear clear enough to read. Attached is a crude illustation of both sides of the tag.

Gary

post-8249-0-17641500-1313998643_thumb.gif

post-8249-0-17641500-1313998643_thumb.gif

Yesterday I was stripping the front seat cushion upholstery from an early TR4. Inside the seat I found a tag jammed between the springs and horsehair padding that had a partial name of the manufacturer. It was ***ALOK LTD.

Can anyone tell me the name of the company that made the seats for Triumph?

Thanks,

Gary

I do not recognise the label but it is certainly for the TR4 as it mentions ZEST - has anyone trace 806222 the part no?

The makers of the rubberised hair were Hairlock. I would have thought either Callow and Maddox or Coventry Hood and Seating may have had something to do with the seats also.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Peter,

That was my initial thought also, but there is definitely no "IR" between the "A" and "L". What is left of the tag in very clear. Unfortunately, when is disassembled the seat, I thought this was just a scrap of paper and took no care to preserve it. The missing piece crumbled when I removed it and it may have had the complete name.

This past weekend I dissembled 3 sets of early TR4 seats and a set of TR3 seats. Of note is that of the 3 sets of TR4 seats, all 3 used different methods to attach the upholstery to the spring pan. One set used the typical spring clips commonly used for TR trim panels, one set used "hog" rings and the third had a thin plywood tack strip and upholstery tacks (different suppliers???).

Also, the seat where I found the tag is different (unique) to the other 7 seats. It has two steel tubes welded onto the inside of the seat back in an "X" pattern as bracing. It's in my soda blasting cabinet now, but I will post a photo in a few hours. Does this bracing sound familiar to anyone?

Gary

I do not recognise the label but it is certainly for the TR4 as it mentions ZEST - has anyone trace 806222 the part no?

The makers of the rubberised hair were Hairlock. I would have thought either Callow and Maddox or Coventry Hood and Seating may have had something to do with the seats also.

Cheers

Peter W

The early style seats in my 1961 TR4 have the 'X bracing' on the passengers seat. I believe this was fitted due to the fact that the passengers seat hinges to allow access behind. This hinged seat does not have the same structual strength as the fixed drivers seat, hence the extra bracing.

My seats were and indeed still are, fitted with plywood mountings which are attached to the 'metal buckets' with bifficated rivets, these are to facilitate the attachment of the upholstery.