Two small problems...

Should be double springs on the inlet valves, double springs plus the auxiliary third spring (ie triple springs) on the exhaust valves . . . . that's up to CT 21470 or thereabouts, can't remember the changeover number for sure, after which it was double springs all round for the remainder of TR4 and 4A production.

Inadvertent fitment of the auxiliary spring to the inlet valves will cause problems, and cause noise !

Afterthought - this is one of those classic examples of where it's handy to have the parts book as well as the workshop manual. All too easy to misinterpret the manual, the parts book provides the necessary clarification. I'd never get anything right without the two to compare and cross reference ! :P

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Thanks for the clarification. So should I remove the third spring on the inlet, why does it cause a problem? I do NOT want to remove the head, can I put lots of rope in the cylinder in order to remove the extra spring?

I would speak to the guys that built the head?????? and yes you can,make sure you have the spring central collet fitted

The pic will self distruct in one hour :D

Changeover is as per Alec's post. Moss catalogue states:

"Aux spring only required when 3/8" stem exhaust valves are used. Lower spacer not to be used with this spring."

And for the later cars (double springs on inlet and exhaust):

"Valve spring sets to standard specification are not available and, we consider they were a bit under-designed anyway, so we offer complete sets of uprated springs)."

Changeover is as per Alec's post. Moss catalogue states:

"Aux spring only required when 3/8" stem exhaust valves are used. Lower spacer not to be used with this spring."

And for the later cars (double springs on inlet and exhaust):

"Valve spring sets to standard specification are not available and, we consider they were a bit under-designed anyway, so we offer complete sets of uprated springs)."

Brian

It is not a spacer ;) Moss should know better than that????????? however it keeps things inline

Edited by ntc

Hi try checking the connections on the rear of the ammeter, these are often rusted and pass very little current.