Dear All:

Anyone has used the so-called “Gustafson’s” gear reduction starter?

I have to replace my starter; beside the fact that all the tips of the gears engaging flywheel are worn out, the whole gear assembly became loose (broke) while driving!

So, I was wondering what people think about either gear reduction starters or the high torque starters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Farid

Hi Farid,

A high-torque starter was already fitted to my TR3 when I bought it 4 years ago and I have say it has been very good and has given me no problems at all. In the 1970's, when I had my TR2 and TR3A, I was always having to either remove and release the starter or hit it with a hammer!

If you don't mind the non-original part, then I would say the £175 is worth it.

(Just my view before I am beaten-up by purists!)

Brian.

I spent many years wrestling the starter in and out of my 3A and finslly gave up and bought a hi torque unit from Cambridge Motorsport. Since then the car starts better and I hace had no problems at all in that area. Fitting an expansion bottle to the radiator knocked out the overheating issues and a Cox regulator put a stop to the elecytrical issues.

Good luck, :)