I think my tyres are due for a change. I have at the moment Yokohama 185x70x15. Can't get that size without spending loads of money. Do I go 175x65x15 or 195x6515 Help!!!!!

Sorry to differ! Depending on your rim size, I would go for 195.65.15 i have these on my TR6 and they work well and have just bought the same for my TR4 project which has 6" rims.

I have 5 1/2 j Minilite wheels

Ditched the wire wheels a few months ago and with bolt on minitite replicas the car has never handled and driven so well I wish I'd done it years ago. I tried many times to balance the wires by so called experts but the vibrations at speed were always there The minilites are half the weight of the wires and the lower unsprung weight seems to make the car less skittish on varying road surfaces if you know what I mean.

I thought long and hard on the width/ apect ratio with the concensus on this site favoring the 165/80. I felt that Id like to fill the rims a bit more with 5.5J so went for 185/65 I would have prefered 185/70 as that would have matched the 165/80 circumferance closer but tyres are rarer than hens teeth. I feel no difference on effort required to turn the steering Infact its lighter ( ok the xas'es were getting a bit worn)

Regards

Dale

I've just fitted 165/80 x 15 Vredesteins at £53 each to my Healey 3000 amd I'm well pleased. These cars are all awful by modern standards and IMO the suspension simply can't cope with wider Tyres. Old cars always feel better, especially on dreadful, awful, disgusting Brit roads, with the original sizes. I've got 155/80 x 15 on the 3A.

Ash

Just to throw in a curved ball, met a friend of mine this am for coffee and he has a 6 with 165.80.15s on. I then asked 2 other people who were with us which looked better without telling them why. Both went for the 195.65.15 option as they seem to fill the arches better. I have done about 35000 km on mine and no problems parking at all! Unfortunately we were on opposite sides of the car park so no photo opportunity - sorry!!

Hope this helps,

Jamie

My Dad's TR6 looks great on 195s.

My TR4 handles better on 165s: I've had 185/60s on the TR4 and it felt like a dog. Good quality 165s have made the car much more enjoyable to drive!

See if you can try a TR with different tyre sizes maybe?

Cheers

Ade

My Dad's TR6 looks great on 195s.

My TR4 handles better on 165s: I've had 185/60s on the TR4 and it felt like a dog. Good quality 165s have made the car much more enjoyable to drive!

See if you can try a TR with different tyre sizes maybe?

Cheers

Ade

Cheers Ade. See you a Tatton

I think it's the cart springs/live axle that may make the difference on the TR4. I was running 195/65's and every time I went over a bump it was rough. Having now changed to 165/80's, I firmly believe that 50% of the suspension in these cars in contained within the tyre wall.

Makes for a much improved handling too.

Bri.

I have changed my 1989 tyres for 195x6515 Toyo Proxie tyres. They have transformed the car

Hi

I run my Beastie on 175 tyres as anything wider makes the steering very heavy indeed at low speeds and a little less stable at high speeds (probably due to the tread pattern of Dunlop SP82's in particular).

Bear in mind that tyre choice in 70 profile is pretty limited, so if you can get away with 65 profile you have a far greater selection of very good road tyres. I like AVON's, Dunlops and Yokohama's especially because of the manufacturing quality, compound availablility and tyre construction and they all have their strengths and weaknesses in what I want to do with the car. Vreds seem good in poor road conditions but I really didnt like them in the dry at all.

Regards Tony

I have just weighed a Revolution 6 x 15 alloy wheel with a new 195/65 Pirelli P6 tyre and a standard 4 1/2 x 15 wire wheel, including adapter&spinner, with an old 165/80 Michelin tyre. Both were 17.5 kg.

The bare Revolution was 7.8kg. I believe the MiniLight replicas weigh a little more.

Stan

Edited by smizgals