Hi Torque Starter

Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction for a new TR5 Hi torque starter?

There are a couple of different ones on ebay, but don't know which is best. Are they much the same?

Thanks Mike

Mike

I've fitted 2 of these now and they're not all the same. First was from SC Parts (TR6) and second was from TR Shop (TR4A). The one from SC Parts has two bolt holes as per the original and is easy to fit, the second has a fixed stud on the top mount and is a pain in the arse to fit. They both spin the engine over fast, but the one from TR Shops (made by Wosp), makes a hideous screeching, hairdryer type noise while the the SC parts supplied version sounds more like you'd expect a starter would.

Edited by badshead

Mike

I've fitted 2 of these now and they're not all the same. First was from SC Parts (TR6) and second was from TR Shop (TR4A). The one from SC Parts has two bolt holes as per the original and is easy to fit, the second has a fixed stud on the top mount and is a pain in the arse to fit. They both spin the engine over fast, but the one from TR Shops (made by Wosp), makes a hideous screeching, hairdryer type noise while the the SC parts supplied version sounds more like you'd expect a starter would.

Mine sounds fine...no screeching sound at all and the stud can be removed.

Tony

From memory, not sure about that. I think the stud is there because there would otherwise be insufficient clearance between the soleniod and flange to get the bolt through.

As it stands, you are correct. To remove the stud you have to take the flange off first. This is what I did and can now use a nut and bolt... ;)

Cheers

Tony

• 5 weeks later...

Watch for recon'd ones that have been convverted to fit a TR at around £150 ... for a new unit you should be paying £200 ish and has a fixed bolt at the tip to get around the clearance issue.

Regards Tony

Whichever you buy, make sure to bolt it securely (nylstop) and block the body maintaining long studes with piano steel wire.

These bas... tend to come apart and get loose real easy.

Badfrog