been given a tr8 lhd 28000 miles

this is a california import one but i was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to convert to rhd its being stripped at the min as im going to get it resprayed as it was sitting in a garrage for the last 10 years and is rathr shabby i want to do it up like new but does anyone know were id get the parts to convert it and wat all does it involve cheers

Hi,

and welcome !

It can be done, converting lhd to rhd, but not exactly a 5 minute job . . . . .

There's no shortage of rhd TR7 components, which takes care of the cockpit and dashboard area, although you might well have to sacrifice a degree of originality, and maybe also the aircon if fitted. Same goes for steering components, with the provision that rhd power steering racks are unobtainium, so it's manual steering - hardly a problem. Brake items shouldn't be a drama, minor engine controls may need a bit of ingenuity but nothing dramatic.

A lot of the parts you'd need I probably have spare used items, and so will a few other Wedge enthusiasts, you don't have to spend fortunes on new stuff (if you can even get it !).

Chris Turner probably knows more than most in respect of TR8 conversions, and you could always go to Billing Aquadrome Northampton tomorrow for what's left of the TR Driver's club weekend.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi,

As Alec Says its always do-able,

My car is a converted left to right hand drive TR8. The choice has always to be yours but left hand drive and all original gives you a bigger market should you wish to move the car on.

There should be plenty of parts available to you at reasonable cost, inside the car the dashboard changes also include all the supporting frame work, the carpets will be wrong, the foot rest,

In the engine bay depending on what spec your car is obviously you have to make changes to the bulkhead for the steering collumn, the wiring loom, the accelerator cable and the clutch master cylinder as well as changing over the pedal box position.

Replacement of the front brake pipe system and swapping over of the pressure reducing valve. The clutch pipe is easy and I would always suggest using a braided pipe (same as TR7).

Other than that you have the carrier for the washer bottle and windscreen wiper motor, then removal of the associated metal work.

As Alec says loosing the power steering is not too much of an issue as the manual setup with added roller bearing set up on the top of the front strutts gives a very useable arrangement.

Out of interest what year is your car and where was it built for?

Happy to help with any info if I can.

Cheers

Ian

As Ian said; if you keep it lhd you have a MUCH greater market for it when you decide to sell it.

A genuine lhd TR8 in pristine condition with a valid EU license plate is on the correct side of 9-10,000 coins (be they

Euros or Pounds) when offered on the correct side of La Manche... If you convert it you've lost that entire market

and are left with just the British Islets. (And maybe - some very far away places like NewZealand and Australia.)

Edited by Odd