New wiring loom

Hello friends.

Need to replace my old melted wiring. The car is a ex US 74'.

Should i go for standard ( TR-shop, Rimmer, Moss, Autosparks ) or a more uprated system from Advance Auto Wire?

Cheers

SO

Hello friends.

Need to replace my old melted wiring. The car is a ex US 74'.

Should i go for standard ( TR-shop, Rimmer, Moss, Autosparks ) or a more uprated system from Advance Auto Wire?

Cheers

SO

Got mine from TR Bitz, great price. Then they didnt have it in stock so they got me one from Moss. All went in perfectly, great loom. Ok mine was a TR5 but I think their product fits the bill and went in without issue.

Robin

I used Autosparks to customise a loom for me along the lines of the Advance Autowire system. Their's was around the same sort of price ( don't forget transport and duty and VAT costs). I had extra wiring put in for SatNav, additional power outlets, Bass Woofer unit, electric fan, hazard lights, heated seats, a secondary set of airhorns, separate heavy duty feeds to both boot fuel pumps, and main/dip lights both independently wired. Altogether sixteen micro fused circuits with relays on all the meaty power consuming items. Fitted neatly along with spare fuses and relays in a grey oblong box and sited it next to the windscreen wiper motor so the cables drop down in to the passenger well quite neatly and follow the correct siting within the engine bay. AutoSparks use the newer thinner insulated wires so the extra cabling did not bulk out the loom even though there are more wires, and some wires are uprated for power, it looks the same as standard.

If you go ahead think about the horn positions as well as any other non-standard item positions as they tend to make them according to the original spec, which is not where most horns end up nowadays. I also found the fuel pump cables could have done with being a bit longer by about 6 inches, again probably due to my being Bosch based deep in the tyre well and not thinking it was not standard.

Nice touches were to include the power/cutout/warning light wiring for the alarm immobiliser, and power for the ignition amplifier. Also wired for either normal or sports coils with/without ballast resistor.

I had intended to use Advance Auto, but could not make much sense out of them for price and delivery. Autosparks delivered the goods within around four weeks for me. They had a genuine interest in my car and were very enthusiastic.

Lastly, make sure when you collect that you have the correct other half of any plugs/sockets used as sometimes these change and for the coppers they cost you might as well take them as a set.

Buy yourself a multimeter, and some way to mark/label the wires. I commenced my rewire by cutting through the old loom near to the engine bay/passenger compartment entry grommet. I then proceeded to rewire the engine bay while testing that the other end of the loom was where I thought it should be. Most times are OK, but when you hit a sticky point it is useful to have a record by way of a label/ marker to lend confidence to the correct wiring. I did have a hiccup with the ignition switch as found the brown bible a bit ambiguous. Watch out for the auxiliary position as this is switched off when the key is fully turned for start. I had miswired my coil feed to it, so in every other position it showed power to the coil, but when turing over the engine the coil received none. That was a real puzzler.

Job done and I am delighted to have brighter lights and direction indicator lights that actually blink and wink regardless of other lights being on and the engine only at tickover.

Edited by TRTerry

I always use Autosparks for all mine and they do a great job especially for extras that you may require. Always much neater than having loads of extra wires hanging around. Decide on the extras and their positioning first and then talk to Paul as he builds the looms and has some very good ideas if you only have a vague understanding of what you want.

Stuart.

Thanks folks.

I got just the answers I was hoping for.

Seems that Autosparks is the best supplier.

Great to have it custom made.

Have a nice summer.

Cheers

Svein Otto Aanonsen

Norway

• 3 months later...

Thanks folks.

I got just the answers I was hoping for.

Seems that Autosparks is the best supplier.

Great to have it custom made.

Have a nice summer.

Cheers

Svein Otto Aanonsen

Norway

Svein

Make sure you get the spec right from them???