Hi,

I am looking for new tyres for my TR6 and there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice and good prices in Radials 185-70-15.However there is a much better choice and sensible prices on 195-65-15 Radials. Would 195's be suitable for a 73TR6

Thanking you

Regards

John

Hi,

I am looking for new tyres for my TR6 and there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice and good prices in Radials 185-70-15.However there is a much better choice and sensible prices on 195-65-15 Radials. Would 195's be suitable for a 73TR6

Thanking you

Regards

John

Hi John

I have just fitted a set of V rated Avons 195 65 15 for £200 fitted and balanced, they have made a really big difference to the feel of the car biggrin.gif.

I'm in the same boat, standard wheels and wondering which tyres to go for. Speaking to Longstones they recommend 165 x 15 's - which were original spec I believe - i'm on 185 x 15's at the moment. Can't help but think those 165's are awfully thin !!!

Hi John

I have just fitted a set of V rated Avons 195 65 15 for £200 fitted and balanced, they have made a really big difference to the feel of the car biggrin.gif.

Sorry forgot to mention not on standard rims running mini-light'scool.gif

If you go higher than 185/70 you will lose much of what makes the IRS cars good to drive. The car will feel "floaty" and when the rear goes it will do quickly, whereas with the thinner tyres the rear contact patch changes much more progressively.

Andy

Edited by 67_gt6

I've got 195/65 - 15 Michelin Pilot Exaltos on 6" Panasports and they do almost as well as the 185-15 Michelin XAS tyres on my show car :P ( 185s are NLA in the XAS :( )

Diameter of the 195/65s is ~ 0.4" smaller than the 165-15 originals, but that's very close. I have never been confident of the proper inflation pressures to use with these. 30/32 now, up from 25/27 before. Reckon the footprint is quite different from the 165s; probably short and wide vs. long and thin. Anyone know?

I'm considering going to 165-15 XAS once the Pilots wear out but have concerns about the 6" wheels - anyone know better :unsure: ?

Splash cover is compromised with fatter tyres, inertia increases and you may never know what the optimum operating pressures are. For 5s and earlier vintage appearance is another consideration.

I changed from Goodyears to Pirelli a few months back.

The rims are the standard minator minilites at 6''.

Size 195/65-15, seems just about right to my mind, plenty

of feel and grip but not soo heavy at parking speeds.

The P6 cinturato has a classic tread pattern which looks

right on the 5, IMO of course ;),-no complaints after 3500 miles,

cheers,

Laurence

Surely wider size tyres (which make TR's look like Beach Buggies IMHO) invalidate you car insurance, as they're not the ones recommended by the manufacturer? :unsure:

Also, you will have a car that has far too much grip for it's chassis design? :blink:

Edited by Denis

Hmmmm

Not sure about the insurance aspect.

I do know that when I rang Longstones they were advising that 165x15's were the correct tyre. I have 185's on at the moment - difficult size to get hold of.

Seems people like the 195 65 15 tyre which has better availability / price and this has got me interested in that tyre size.

Don't do it! Far too fat! it'll squige around on it's floppy side walls! :blink:

Nothing wrong in the correct size tyres it's chassis and road holding were designed around! ;)

Vredestein T-Trac 165 80 x15s for me. £220 fitted (all 4). I was pursuaded that the 165s would give better handling but slightly less soft ride. You could look at this topic if you are interested.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=27820&st=0&p=203029&fromsearch=1entry203029

It also has a mixture of opinions. I went for Alec's advice in the end. Meanwhile the T-Trac is also very well reviewed on various review sites.

Edited by Quentin

Thank you chaps, it looks the 195's are the majority. I have 185's on at the moment so 195's will give me better choice/price

Regards

John

But are majorities always right? :rolleyes: (think of elections! ;) )

But if you do go for the non standard size make sure you tell your insurance company that you have modified your car! As they will find the slightest excuse these days to get out of paying a claim! :o

But are majorities always right? :rolleyes: (think of elections! ;) )

But if you do go for the non standard size make sure you tell your insurance company that you have modified your car! As they will find the slightest excuse these days to get out of paying a claim! :o

The original size was probably an 82 or 83 profile, so fitting 80 profile is modifying the car!

One of my cars came with Crossplies as standard, another came with a tyre size that is now only available as an 8-ply van tyre. Both are standard, at least 1 stands a good chance of killing me, insurance companies expect cars originally fitted with crossplies to probably have radials now fitted.

Was 165-15 standard for every model TR6 in every market? I expect the Americans got bias ply tires (get the spelling correct!), did the size change if you chose steel rims or spoked wires?

Unless you have a copy fo the build sheet, there is a fair chance you will not know how it left the factory.

Cheers

Colin

The original size was probably an 82 or 83 profile, so fitting 80 profile is modifying the car!

One of my cars came with Crossplies as standard, another came with a tyre size that is now only available as an 8-ply van tyre. Both are standard, at least 1 stands a good chance of killing me, insurance companies expect cars originally fitted with crossplies to probably have radials now fitted.

Was 165-15 standard for every model TR6 in every market? I expect the Americans got bias ply tires (get the spelling correct!), did the size change if you chose steel rims or spoked wires?

Unless you have a copy fo the build sheet, there is a fair chance you will not know how it left the factory.

Cheers

Colin

UK cars got 165 and US got 185 for a softer ride. The reason most people use 195`s is because they are cheap as virtually all run of the mill cars run that size these days. However you do need to bear in mind tyre technology has advanced huge amounts since these cars were new and so has chassis/floor pan technology as well and the amount of grip with modern tyres can put very high loads on suspension mountings/drive lines that they weren't designed to take even allowing for the certain amount of "over engineering" that was built into everything back then.

Stuart.

However you do need to bear in mind tyre technology has advanced huge amounts since these cars were new and so has chassis/floor pan technology as well and the amount of grip with modern tyres can put very high loads on suspension mountings/drive lines that they weren't designed to take even allowing for the certain amount of "over engineering" that was built into everything back then.

Stuart.

Interesting :huh:

I find that my 195/65-15 Michelin Pilots grip nearly as well as the old style 185 XAS tyres; not better.

I reckoned Poly and nylon bushes would exact a higher toll on suspensions than modern tyres, though especially large/wide ones can certainly pound them into submission :P

Interesting :huh:

I find that my 195/65-15 Michelin Pilots grip nearly as well as the old style 185 XAS tyres; not better.

I reckoned Poly and nylon bushes would exact a higher toll on suspensions than modern tyres, though especially large/wide ones can certainly pound them into submission :P

Is that in the wet or dry? Bushing would depend on the type/quality as some of the harder type do transmit rather than insulate.

Stuart.

Dry. I wouldn't push the XAS in the wet but then they're too old ( 2001 ) to push much now anyway <_<

Just goes to show how good the XAS`s are then when 40 year old tyre technology beats new century type though I suspect the Pilots in a back to back all weather test with new XAS`s (If they still made 185`s) would probably outshine in the wet.

Stuart.