A "TR8" on Ebay

TPADU7AT209643

1:   Make of car:   T = Triumph

2:   Model range:   P = TR7/8

3.   Specification:  A = UK or Europe

4.   Type of Body:  D = Convertible

5.   Type engine:   V = 3.5 litre V8 (ie. TR8)

6.   Steering:        7 = RHD, Manual

7.   Major model:   A = 1980 Model Year

8.   Assembly plt:  T = Canley

(Assuming thats a 'V' and not a 'U') it's correct for a Canley built RHD TR8.

It would be very unusual for a REAL UK market TR8 to be modified as this car has (note the bespoke interior, Holley carbs, paint job, wheels, etc).

I'd also say that if I was out to buy a REAL UK TR8 then I'd not consider one that looked like this.  I'd want the original type engine and interior, or why not just buy a nice 7V8!

Malcolm.

As it has an S&S number plate on it I think it safe to assume it's not real but a conversion as I know their plates have only ever gone on one or two genuine cars one of which I used to own and that was gold, plus the tach fitted is a TR7 one. The U could also be a J which I would think it really is as the chassis number is too low to be in the main batch's of RHD 8's in 1980/81 - having double checked it isn't any of those cars nor does it come close to the Canley few that were built either. Plus when you look at the car no one would modify/spoil a genuine 8 to that level in this country as 7V8's are easy to find and cheaper. I did an estimate last year on coversions to V8 spec based on the various companies doing them as well as the various TR8 kit's in a box from S&S, Rimmers etc and worked out there is the potential (assuming they are all on the road still) for there to be approx 3500 of them. If you assume there are about 6800 ish TR7's on the road then over half now have V8 power!

Last count I know of for real 8's in the UK was circa 80ish

The car in question is indeed a conversion,not one of ours but still a good conversion.It was converted at least 10 years ago(from what I can remember) by a bodyshop in London.We bought & sold it in 1996.

If you look at the picture of the engine bay you wll see that it was taken in our old showroom in Ramsbottom.

Steve

TPADJ7AT209643 it must be then.  Does the seller believe it is a real TR8 I wonder?

Well spotted by Richard.  I was squinting at the picture, trying to see if it was a 5,500 revs red-line (TR8) tacho.

Malcolm.

A real factory TR8 is the only missing piece from my little collection of:

1) An original Speke '77 FHC

2) A tidy(ish) V8 DHC

3) A mad ex-sprint/hillclimb V8 FHC

new_nelly_1_small.JPG  france_small.jpg  v83small.jpg

Nice car though this may be, I'm not in the market for yet another TR7V8.

Malcolm.

Guest Kyle - Apex
im not sure if im correct but the TR8 logo on the boot looks to low and to the right to be a real 8 .... plus if it was canely built it wouldnt have that badge on the front
Kyle ,dont be fooled by badges,many cars have had the wrong badges put on them, initially it was to make the cars look newer and later to make them look older.I bought a genuine TR8 and the rear badges had been set too low after a repaint an easy mistake even though they usually have excess backing paper to use as a template.
Guest Kyle - Apex
yeah guess so but if it was a real TR8 you would think they would at least have the original kind of badge on the front. no one would mutilate a real TR8 would they?
There are many genuine TR8s with the enamel badges,in fact all the UK spec cars have this badge as they were all made at Solihull.If you look at the TR8 featured on the Register description you will see it has the same badge and has been there since new.
A real factory TR8 is the only missing piece from my little collection

Malcolm,

Chris has more than he can drive perhaps he can lend you one to make the collection up - he did have the gold TR8 up for sale a while ago. :D

Richard

But Malcolm has a very unique car. A rogered clutch and a rain shrunk velour trim!!

Yes, it was me who suggested you use your £50 voucher to re-trim the interior of your 7V8 !! I just couldn't resist it.

Cheers

Gary