here you go

Pretty nice car, and only 50 off from mine (I have TS 1911LO). For idle competition's sake, it has non-standard overdrive switch, no door pull cords, wrong fuel line at the carbs, wrong route on vacuum pipe, wrong oil filler cap (?), larger rear view mirror. That's all I can see, and those are all pretty minor stuff. I certainly don't mean to be critical - it is in better shape than mine!

Dan

and only 50 from mine, ts2018.

i spotted the overdrive switch, rear view mirror and door pulls, but missed the fuel lines etc.

also i don't think the bonnet prop is right is it? shouldn't it have the spring thing and bonnet release catch in there somewhere?

still lots better than mine though.

alan

also i don't think the bonnet prop is right is it? shouldn't it have the spring thing and bonnet release catch in there somewhere?

alan

Not on early internal bonnet lock cars. They just have a simple bracket to engage the prop in.

Stuart.

The bonnet prop bar should not be resting on the hood release mechanism. Also, if you look closely at the front scuttle capping piece, it is a later one with the vent pull hole, which has been covered with material. The lift the dot on the capping rail is also not right. But again, it a fine car!

The bonnet prop bar should not be resting on the hood release mechanism. Also, if you look closely at the front scuttle capping piece, it is a later one with the vent pull hole, which has been covered with material. The lift the dot on the capping rail is also not right. But again, it a fine car!

Not on early internal bonnet lock cars. They just have a simple bracket to engage the prop in.

Stuart.

Cannot see a bracket so therefore assume there's no safety latch on the underside of the bonnet - or if there is, it will not be functional.

Nick

A few more,

I stand to be corrected but my observations are as follows:

Trip zero knob looks the same as MGB and longer than it should be and not the correct spring type.

Footwell side carpets are wrong I think they should be much thinner carpet with strip of plywood covered in vinyl and also similar to fuflex finisher tube again covered with vynl material which extends right up to the dash rail.

Were the chrome sill finishers fitted so early?

Nylocs on the suspension?

To put it into perspective we are talking £48600here so it should be right. To use an adage that Alec often uses, a fool and his money, someone spending that sort of money would expect to win concours anytime, anywhere.

Sure it's a nice car but worth the price of two well sorted cars? A really nice one should be no more than £30k What is so special about this car, or is someone trying to recoup what it cost them.

Still it is only an asking price and we have already seen the £1,000,000 bodyshell on fleabay.

Hi Stuart if the value goes expotentiially by age yours has got to top £75000 and mine £100,000.00.

Rod b

Heater tap wrong ie brass body should be 6 sided , turn knob too thick and and wrong casting and no steel extension(its a moggy minor). plastic capped dashpots,cant see lucas on dizy cap, thin belt conversion,air filter decals should be round and in center,ngk plug caps,capilary coil in wrong place,carb overflows should be steel and returned into carbs,screws in comm plate too big,amber ind/side lenses should be frosted white,can bet sidelights now in headlamps,half chrome reveal in mouth (not sure).think gearbox grommit flang should be over carpet ? Nice lucas sticker but non lucas terminals should be lead caps,brass plates usually painted certanly not polished,door pockets should be kidney shaped ? cranking block usually body colour. hope who buys it uses it thrashes it bends it mends it totally enjoys it then flogs it and still get less depreciation than a new euro box.

I just cannot believe the petty critisicm posted, what a shame, its a lovely car. wrong oil cap, door pulls, FMD, as usual Jesus wept.

It is just a game. Of course these things do not really matter. It can be played with any car but the higher the price, the more the fun.

Edited by Nick Webster

No intention to be petty or harsh, and I tried to emphasize that it is a lovely car. I do the same drill to my own car to list everything I can find that is not correct. My list is quite a bit longer. It was merely a fun challenge and no offense meant.

Dan

Don't you just love long door cars in dark colours? This looks stunning, on a purely safety note, the battery doesn't appear to have any retaining bracket fitted.

Kind regards

Andrew

Don't you just love long door cars in dark colours? This looks stunning, on a purely safety note, the battery doesn't appear to have any retaining bracket fitted.

Kind regards

Andrew

Are we to see you at B@Q looking at paintbrushes then?

Compared to most TR2,3,3As, it is immaculate and a long door one. To buy a car and have it restored to the same standard would probably cost a great deal more, so someone who wants one will pay. They are much richer on the Continent and expect a far higher standard than we accept in the UK. How many in the club are even close?

Here's a restoration in progress that is perfect and being done by a friend of mine and Tony Smallbone's, who's the world's foremost expert on early Austins. The chap doing it is pretty ill and in great pain, but such is his love for the early cars that he carries on with a determination that has me in awe.

5844260941_1dffe93555_b.jpg

It took 120 hours to polish the radiator to get it like this:

5844809194_6a34573230_b.jpg

Ash

And while others are being picky, I don't think the leather they've used for the seats is quite right or that the shape is correct. Here's the front seats of my old MKVI, which has really well trimmed ones, so you can see what I mean.

We use the Real Hide Company more than most because they took over manufacture of the originally Connolleys leather and they can usually provide exactly what is need to suit a particular age and style of car.

The leather in the Bentley came from Bridge of Weir who are expensive and not quite as good IMO.

3856515414_01194f1f66_o.jpg

Ash

If we are really are getting into detail then,

On my early car this is how my door sealing was finished, with very thin carpet glued to the footwell side and covered by the rounded edge plywood strips covered in vynide and then with rubber tube covered in vynide instead of any furflex type seal trapped, glued and screwed. The tunnel carpets are in sections each one edged and only about 3-4mm thick. They fitted the tunnel like a bloody leotard.

To all that are taking this seriously that we are slating the car just for it's slight and I do mean slight lack of originality. The thread was original started purely based that the price asked seems excessive for a car slightly less than perfect. If the price asked for is starting to reflect the value of early sidescreen cars then I would suggest the agreed value insurance may need a serious re-assessment.

All the **** talked about originality and/or lack of and certain people on this thread having previously suggested that a notable car even though incomplete due to rust worm were less than original if restored, does make me laugh a bit.

Me personnally, I need a supplier of actual original 1954 oil and brake fluid, tyres, suspension rubbers, wiper blades etc etc so my restoration can be a close to original as possible. Oh and don't forget the period road dirt and bird ****.

Edited by Rodbr

It's an expensive car, looks very nice indeed, and a dealer sale. Unless my rusty German is well adrift, it's been comprehensively rebuilt, body off, and it's newly ticketed.

I don't note any great claims to specific particular originality or significant provenance ?

Surely the minutiae of original fine detailing is neither here nor there if it's a decent enough car, unless the vendor is making unreasonable claims of authenticity and originality ? Which doesn't seem to be the case here ?

Cheers,

Alec

Is there something wrong with caring about what the cars were like when new? If so, Bill Piggott should be a pariah by now, and his books burned with others describing how to cook newts and hogwarts in a cauldron. The folks who care about originality do not seem to chastise those who prefer to just do whatever it takes to get the cars running, not giving a hoot about originality. Those folks are great too, because they get to enjoy the cars without spending a fortune, and likely save many cars from the crusher. Even if one's car is not original, is it ok to study what aspects are not correct and slowly over time fix them in a labor of love (my approach)? My list of non-original features does in fact include things like fluids, tires and so on (except bird ****) that I know I will never replace, but I still want to have a comprehensive list. Oh well, rant over.

Dan