Over the winter, I found metal chips attached to my magnetic drain plug for my gearbox.  I had it all re-built and found that the steel spacer ring was in about 10 or 12 pieces.  Now after another 2300 miles, I have drained the oil from the gearbox and found 5 pieces of the new spacer ring which accout for about 25% of the new ring recently installed.

Anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this ?

The gearbox in my early TR3A came with no synchro in first gear.

Could it be that a  groove for a cir-clip is worn and not supporting the clip properly ?

As an aside, my starter has been acting up and if the car won't start, and if I've parked it on a hill, I usually let it roll, engage the clutch and this starts the engine.

I have been also been starting the TR in reverse if that happens to be the direction of the slope.  Can anyone confirm that a rolling start in reverse is the cause of the broken spacer ring in the gearbox ?  I would not have thought that this would be a problem.

My goal is to understand the problem and implement a solution so I won't have to pull the gearbox out every 2 months to do this.  BTW, the overdrive is working fine.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

Don - Wich spacer ring do you mean? Is it between the circlip and the third gear? Perhaps Buckeye Triumph can help? Something must be wrong with another part on the main shaft, or with the thickness of the spacer ring,  because it's unusual for one of the steel spacers to fail. The circlip for the 3th gear must always be renewed after disassembly.