Hi all

Just been flicking through the various Forum pages and came across Mike Kitchener's post in “Member’s Websites” showing his ingenious flip front on his 3A.

Perhaps this should be marketed, I've had my apron on and off so many times for one thing or another it would have saved me hours, and skin!!

Have a look at it, what are the general thoughts? http://mikek.9online.fr/flipfron.htm

No doubt the concourse fraternity would have palpitations though :D

Cheers

Andrew

http://www.zen21606.zen.co.uk/Forum%20Gall...smith_1_big.jpg

andrew

this was a suprise!

i have seen pictures of a 3a (i think) fitted with a swing down front light, grille and valance centre section, all be it without bumper or over riders fitted, leaving the wings fixed and thought this a great idea. (i have looked at the possibility of doing mine and think it would be very easy, except i like my bumpers!)

i think the method you have shown would be butchery, let alone upsetting the concours fanatics!! i could only see it being possible with a fibreglass front end - may as well buy a spitfire! i am sure the racing nuts use this method already?

peter

i think the method you have shown would be butchery, let alone upsetting the concours fanatics!!

Peter

I have to disagree with this particular quote in part. Yes, it would upset the concourse types, but Mike's sorted the car for himself and seems to have stuck two fingers up to the originality and concourse buffs. Good on him.

I feel far too much attention is paid to concourse, originality and the constant search for those elusive half points.

Those who know me, know that concourse cars and me do not mix. In fact, whilst restoring my 4A to concourse (SUV 407F) in 1993 I suddenly thought, "this would be murder to own", so sold it!

Well-done Mike, great idea but probably not for all.

Cheers

Andrew

See? http://www.zen21606.zen.co.uk/Forum%20Gall...smith_2_big.jpg

andrew

when i said butchery i was refering to the photos showing the whole of the car cut off forward of the baulkhead and replaced with a fibreglass construction!

then again electronic ingnition, rack and pinion steering, slotted brake discs, adjustable shocks all great ideas (in my opinion) but where do you stop? i suppose its a personal satisfaction thing.

questions as to whether a windscreen wiper motor body should be silver painted or wrinkle black seem a bit pointless as long as it works but what is the point of having an old lady if it is just 4 wheels, engine, gearbox and a fibreglass mould dropped on top?

peter

ps nice engine bay - is it plastic?

Hi Peter

I agree, where do you stop before most, if not all, of the car's identity is lost? But I do feel making our cars fit for modern use is a must and obviously at the discretion of the owner. However, as I said, I do feel some go OTT in search of elusive concourse points. Each to their own I guess, but I would sooner be out driving mine (rain or shine) than worrying about minor details!

Anyway, why go to such extremes in search of originality unless you already have an original car?

Generally, in my view, there seems to be a common misconception in the classic car world about "original" and "original specification". I've met many owners, and dealers, who class their cars as an "original", when these cars have clearly been rebuilt (usually costing many thousands) so the car is, de facto, a rebuild to original specification. Sadly, the unscrupulous amongst them often sell these cars to uninformed buyers as an “original” car: Caveat Emptor!

Of course, I'm not saying that replacing consumable items classifies a genuine original car as non-original; I'm talking about rebuilds.

Take TS1 and 2, would you say these cars are “original” or rebuilds to “original specification”? I know what they are claimed to be and it’s great they have been rescued and preserved.

As long as we keep our cars on the road, in one shape or another, I guess that’s all that counts.

Indecently, I saw a TR3A replica on ebay a few weeks ago.........why?  :P

Cheers

Andrew

PS, No, it's not real plastic: it's imitation!  :D

andrew

i saw that TR3a rep as well!

apparently it is all metal?

do not know what it is based on though?

3 or 4 months ago a black TR3 made £9.6k on ebay with GRP replacement panels??

peter :)

ps i will dig out that 3a article with the swing down apron and post you

ps i will dig out that 3a article with the swing down apron and post you

Hi Peter

There is an article and photograph in TRaction 194 (April/May) on a swing-down apron on page 24, although there are no technical details it looks quite straightforward is this the one?

Also on pages 36 & 37, there is an article on my car (TRK 639) and how it came to be in my possession.

Cheers

Andrew

http://www.zen21606.zen.co.uk/Forum%20Gall...smith_1_big.jpg

andrew

yes that is the article i was refering to, looks easy dosn't it!

the 3a front bumper and overriders are not too difficult to remove anyway.

i think that some form of removable cross bracing would be a good idea, to stop the front end spreading or closing once the apron is swung down.

keep in touch on that one. phoenixbes@aol.com

apologies to Mike if i have touched a nerve or two.

regards peter

apologies to Mike if i have touched a nerve or two

Peter ,

No problem......My nerves are untouched :-)

Concerning the swing-down apron , I think that it would be necessary to incorporate some kind of air duct to direct air towards the radiator when the car is travelling at speed , unless the electric pusher fan is powerful enough and you don't mind it running all the time .

It might also be possible to keep the front bumper if the apron were hinged like on my front .

Cheers

Mike

front_hinge.jpg