SU carbs running too rich

Andy you may be right but as the shoulder is proud of the Brass bit I'm assuming it's flush with the aluminium face of the dashpot itself.

If not put a straight edge across the face and pull the needle down to it, the job's done.

Apart from a tendency to flood (for me and my son only?) SUs are dead easy IMO.

Ash

Hello to all.

As I wrote earlier, I lowered the needles by about 0.5 mm below the piston face and tested again the engine. With the jet nut at its uppermost position, there was a clear lean mixture operation symptom.

I was able to achieve around 5% CO in the exhaust by turning only 3 flats (half turn) in the jet nut, what seems to be too little (recommendations are around 6 or 9 flats), and surely the problem of too large a jet orifice still persists.

The engine seems to run fine, but I have still to test the spark plug conditions after a serious drive.

In all, I hope that changing to new jets, the situation will improve, and I will try to go back to the correct needle position.

I'll post the news.

Thanks again for your help.

Jesús