My TR2 had no dashboard just a piece of alloy, bought one today and it must be off a later car without the wood insert, so it seems as though it needs fettling to fit.

Has anyone done this before please all help appreciated.

What's with the wood insert? I don't recall seeing any wood inserts on my TR3a dash.

Rgds Ian

Ian your motoring in the modern world.

When the TR2 was made, wood was fitted under the rear of the scuttle to screw the dash to. The 3A doesnt have the wood fitted, others will be better informed, but wood was also present in the doors of earlier cars too.

To screw the hangers for the sidescreen arms, possibly in the 3A too, yes I think it was.

Ian your motoring in the modern world.

When the TR2 was made, wood was fitted under the rear of the scuttle to screw the dash to. The 3A doesnt have the wood fitted, others will be better informed, but wood was also present in the doors of earlier cars too.

To screw the hangers for the sidescreen arms, possibly in the 3A too, yes I think it was.

We do have the wood blocks for the sidescreen brackets but not the wood door frame parts, they were replaced with metal. We also have the compressed cardboard in the B post for fixing the trim. Oh and I think one of the seats has some wood in it but I have not gome spelunking in the seats yet.

Stan

The wood under the scuttle was deleted at the 60K change over though Im not sure that there was any difference in the attachment points for the dash panel.

Stuart

I have always had wood above the dash-board in my early 1958 TR3A as well as all along the top of the doors. As most of you know, my TR3A is very original - having bought it brand new in May 1958 - HEY !! That's over 53 years ago. How time flies when you're having fun driving a TR ! Last weekend I drove mine more than 860 miles. And I'm still 20 years old every time I drive it !!!

I have always had wood above the dash-board in my early 1958 TR3A as well as all along the top of the doors. As most of you know, my TR3A is very original - having bought it brand new in May 1958 - HEY !! That's over 53 years ago. How time flies when you're having fun driving a TR ! Last weekend I drove mine more than 860 miles. And I'm still 20 years old every time I drive it !!!

Hi Don

I'm like you. The weekend before last we did 450 miles and were sad when we got home, especially now that I have cured my overheating problem, which was suffered by three other club members on the same trip, (not TR owners I add.)

The only difference was that it probably cost me as much as you in fuel as it did you for almost twice the distance, - lucky you!

DAve

Pete, the dash didn't change after the factory deleted the timber across the front of the scuttle.

It was the same item for all TR2-3A RHD cars.

So providing the PO didn't make any alterations for mounting the ally dash, and providing the dash you purchased is as original, it should fit OK.

Regards,

Viv.

I must be losing it, (no comments please) for the life of me I cannot see how it screws to the facia without me cutting off the folded edge of the dash, please have a look at the photos and see what I mean.

DSC05547.jpg

DSC05545.jpg

DSC05544.jpg

I must be losing it, (no comments please) for the life of me I cannot see how it screws to the facia without me cutting off the folded edge of the dash, please have a look at the photos and see what I mean.

DSC05547.jpg

DSC05545.jpg

DSC05544.jpg

Lets try again!

Your dash needs to go forward away from the steering wheel. Drop the dash down slide it forward then lift it up so that it comes behind the wood that the pegs for the lift a dot pegs are screwed into. This wood should have studs fitted that will match up with the slots in the top of your dash and holes to the left and right.

Lets try again!

Your dash needs to go forward away from the steering wheel. Drop the dash down slide it forward then lift it up so that it comes behind the wood that the pegs for the lift a dot pegs are screwed into. This wood should have studs fitted that will match up with the slots in the top of your dash and holes to the left and right.

Thank you MJL, what a balloon I am, I just could not see the wood for the trees, will have to drop the steering wheel down to fit but thats simple. Thanks again, and accept a round of applause!

And when you put the dash back together get rid of those horrible blue crimp connectors otherwise you will be forever cursing the electrics.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Pete, If your TR2 is pre vent flap era and the dash is post vent flap era you will have to "move" the mounting cut out on the top centre of the dash panel as it was offset post vent flap era to make room for the vent flap rod but prior to that the cut out on pre vent flap TR2 dash panels were exactly central to match the mounting in the woodwork.

Worth checking before final fit up with vinyl glued.