Alternator Problem ?

with the engine running the ignition warning light stays on,going out intermitently, the ammeter jumps from the

-to the + when the light goes out. How do I check if the ammeter or regulator are at fault. or could it be something else. Any help much welcomed.

Hmmmm, if the light goes out when the ammeter goes into the + zone that's what should happen!

I think the question is "why wasn't the alternator charging consistently"

If you have a digital meter then you could test the output voltage of the alternator, if not then I suggest you check all the connections first, then get it checked out professionally.

My first check would be the battery terminal voltage, engine off around 12.5 volts. Start engine, increase RPM to around 1500 and expect to see more than 13.5 volts or thereabouts. If it's much lower, check at the alternator output terminals, if that's still low your alternator is suspect. If the alternator terminal voltage is reasonable check cable and connections including earthing braids. Turning on the headlights to increase the load should not drop the terminal voltage by much if all is well.

It's probably no consolation but my '73 TR6 ate two alternators in its first two years.

Mike.