Fuel Additive/Lead replacement - Advice Needed :-) And Introduction

Hello All,

Been registered for a while but often browse rather than post!

Just looking for a bit of guidance re fuel additives/lead replacements......

We have a non coverted LHD TR250 engined carbed TR6.

The car was imported then completely stripped and nut & bolt rebuild by my late father in law.

The car whilst fully road legal was used in competition hill climbs and trials etc (not sure why this bit is important but .....)

My wife and I have been in ownership of the car now for three years in during which time we have kept the car up together and enjoyed using it.

Since using the car we have been supplementing fill ups with a lead replacement additive. Its name escapes me but it comes in a two part single bottle with purple/pink livery.

We are on the cusp of needing more and are looking for any advice and guidance :-)

Many thanks in advance.

Pic of the six enjoying the sun - albeit a bad pic:

IMGP2140.jpg

Mark

Hello All,

Been registered for a while but often browse rather than post!

Just looking for a bit of guidance re fuel additives/lead replacements......

We have a non coverted LHD TR250 engined carbed TR6.

The car was imported then completely stripped and nut & bolt rebuild by my late father in law.

The car whilst fully road legal was used in competition hill climbs and trials etc (not sure why this bit is important but .....)

My wife and I have been in ownership of the car now for three years in during which time we have kept the car up together and enjoyed using it.

Since using the car we have been supplementing fill ups with a lead replacement additive. Its name escapes me but it comes in a two part single bottle with purple/pink livery.

We are on the cusp of needing more and are looking for any advice and guidance :-)

Many thanks in advance.

Pic of the six enjoying the sun - albeit a bad pic:

IMGP2140.jpg

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have had my TR6, which is on twin SU's, for almost 10 years now and have used Castrol Valvemaster Plus for the whole of that time. This has an added advantage of the inclusion of an octane booster. So, on super unleaded and Valvemaster Plus, you have something which should be about 100 octane. The Castrol Valvemaster products come in a 250ml bottle which treats 250 litres of fuel, so it works out much cheaper than other makes which, at approx. the same cost for the same quantity, treat only one tankful. A word of caution - if you make the change to a different product, do not mix them. I would drain the tank and flush the system with neat petrol before topping up afresh and adding the new product. Nice looking car!

Jim

Nice colour.

Castrol Valvemaster Plus.

If your car still has the low cr US-spec engine, you might not need Super unleaded. Any thoughts folks? :unsure:

Ivor

Nice colour.

Castrol Valvemaster Plus.

If your car still has the low cr US-spec engine, you might not need Super unleaded. Any thoughts folks? :unsure:

Ivor

Maybe not, but complete absence of squish on heads less than CR9.5 would tend to allow detonation so maybe not.

Mark

Millers VSP the drink of choice for a TR along with a nice tank of Shell V Power.

Cheers.

Nick.

millers yes always but not sure about the shell,any unleaded and im on injection

Roy

Thank you all for the above.

Will have a look at the two products.

To date we have had mixed recommendations as to the std/super unleaded argument.

I take it the higher RON count(?) of the super unleadeds is preferable non the std unleadeds - 97 vs 95 IIRC.

At the moment I think its std unleaded in the car and it seems to run fine - cannot remember if the mix though is a std/super mix from a previous fill up :huh:

Would you guys suggest going with a super unleaded option all of the time?

Apologies for the silly question :-)