• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Thanks guys, TR BROWN had not occurred to me and is actually a great idea. I mean genuinely a great idea.

Please bear with me while I incorporate this in the totally unrealistic, optimistic, and dream world I live in.

TR GOLD or TR BROWN.

Your choice?

Hi Folks,

I knocked up a couple of stainless finishers (wings) and they looked stunningly beautiful (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

Anyway SWMBO said no. Bu66er.

So I fitted the three trim panels with the rubber beading and then had the genius idea of fitting the SS wings under the rubber beading - Voila as they say if foreign parts. It looks not too bad at all. I appreciate the trim panels should have fitted in the first place (and I will be having words) but needs must, as they say.

Roger

Rubber beading along the rear deck

post-4113-0-46391300-1473613270_thumb.jpg

SS wing fillet.

post-4113-0-87419200-1473613232_thumb.jpg

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks,

well it's been a busy few days. My lad, Russell, had to go into hospital to have an op on hos back to help sort out a prolapsed disc.

This is his 4th op. However he was well enough the following day to be let loose. So late last night dads taxi took him home. Fingers crossed for good result.

Anyway back to the car. I need some tenaxLift the Dot fasteners. So popped along to Moss, spoke nicely to the man and he said no!!!.

Well that's not very nice is it. I was even prepared to pay for the parts.

So what do I need. The extra long twin screw LtD stud and the extra long woodscrew LtD stud - see pic below.

Does anybody know who has any. I think I have looked everywhere that I can think of.

Roger

twin screw short and long - I need the long ones.

post-4113-0-41112700-1473876862_thumb.jpg

Long woodscrew stud

post-4113-0-40133400-1473876870_thumb.jpg

Edited by RogerH

A quick warning about replacement pegs: I fitted a new hood and in my normal way I damaged a bit namely a "lift a dot peg fastener" so I ordered a couple of spares from rimmers

They arrived, I fitted them and later put my tonneau lift a dot clips on.

:- problem came when I wanted to take the tonneau off.

The rebate in the pegs was so well defined that the lift a dot clips would not disengage and I ended up ripping the pegs out of the hood back plate

The solution was to file the sharp rebate in the pegs to create a smooth angle end so the lift a dot clips would disengage

if you look at the pictures Roger has put up you can see how variable the peg ends are

Michael

Edited by MichaelH

Agree, some are quite hard to disengage, problem with attacking them with a file (or lathe?) is the loss of plating in that area, also loss of metal thickness / strength.

Bob.

Hi Folks,

when I got the TR4 six years ago it had a very tatty roof. This has been replaced with a nice new good one.

Today I was thinking about a tonneau cover. I then remembered that there was one with the car when I got it.

Thankfully I kept this and dug it out.

It is black vinyl. The outer vinyl face is in good but grubby condition. The underside is like new.

This tonneau is probably the original thus making it apprx 54 years old.

The door popper studs on the doors are in the same place as original but the back LtD fasteners have been replaced and moved a little.

Guess what - no not that!!! - the tonneau actually fits very well. If it was new I couldn't be happier.

So this week I shall get the rear seat and side covers attached and all buttoned down.

The seats must be getting close to being finished.

Roger

Hi Folks,

now, if you have been keeping up with the plot you will know that I'm trying to conquer the upholstery.

My original Lift the dot fastener pegs are usable but have lost their shiny plating (is it Nickel). So I purchased some from Woolies the other day.

They look very good. The finish is excellent. But they don;t fit.

The spacing of the fastener holes (these are double screw hole type) is tooooo big by about 1/16 - 3/32.

Now I have to somehow fill the screw holes in the rear deck forward flange (where the bright work for the hood fits) so I can fit new holes.

This brings me onto the next query - Two of the Lift the Dot fastener studs are longer than the other 14. This is for the hood and the frame strap.

Question - where do these longer LtD studs go?

In the rear deck there are two depressions. These are covered by the bright work and the seat back fabric so the strap doesn't go there.

Would it be at the next stud inboard.?

Another strange thing that I found just recently. On the rear seat (call that a seat!!). there are four LtD studs to help hold the carpet in place..

These have a wood screw type base.

I couldn't find any with a screw so bought some with a 2BA thread. I like 2BA. It is a nice screw thread but sadly is losing popularity.

Thankfully M5 is a reasonable, if imperfect, fit. So some M5 rivnuts later I have four pegs pointing upwards like some medieval torture implement.

The other week I was doing battle with the brightwork moulding that goes along the sides - http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/capping-hood-fastener-side-rh-805120.html- I found that the pressing was not a good shape although it did look like a rather decent part. The small winglet near the rear was the cause.

Chatting the JeffM at Moss yesterday he was a little surprised and gave me another pressing to see if it was any better.

Sadly it was not. However it has not pased my interogating mind that ot could be my car that is wrong.

So - has anybody got a TR4 near Heathrow were I could do a trial fit of a new pressing to see what happens.

Roger

Roger Im sure Alan (TR2100) put some pictures up a few weeks ago of original webbing positioning, If your original studs have lost their plating rather than trying to move hole centres to fit new why not get your originals re-plated and yes bright Nickel is a good finish.

Stuart.

This brings me onto the next query - Two of the Lift the Dot fastener studs are longer than the other 14. This is for the hood and the frame strap.

Question - where do these longer LtD studs go?

In the rear deck there are two depressions. These are covered by the bright work and the seat back fabric so the strap doesn't go there.

Would it be at the next stud inboard.?

The longer ones are forward of the boot-hinge - next to the left-most hole in the picture

post-13122-0-59095100-1474407231_thumb.jpeg