Hi Rob,

if I thought more about what I was going to do I would probably not do it.

Sue mentioned the other day - why not take it to some back street garage and they would do it properly and far cheaper.

Indeed - but then I wouldn't learn anything.

I can silver solder stainless steel I can.

Roger

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Roger, I'm with you, ...... if a jobs worth doing you might as well do it yourself, why give someone else all the fun!!

I've spent the day wiring and plumbing in an electric fuel pump  'cause the stupid aftermarket (AC clone) fuel pump has gone wrecked a perfectly good Piper cam!! .... Ho Hum!!

Yes, I've also added an inertia switch. 

Rob

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

Sue mentioned the other day - why not take it to some back street garage and they would do it properly and far cheaper.

I'm also with you Roger..  Back in the early 90's I went to the states and bought / brought and restored a TR4.  It was a first attempt, a trial if you like to see whether I might do it professionally.  I was lucky in selling the car very soon after I imported it and so did the restoration to order.  I pragmatically and very carefully prepared the shell and under-bonnet and reprayed them myself in red.  Not the most difficult of colours to work with, but often the paint does not cover as well as most other colours (it's pigment is not as opaque).  Appropriately I used red oxide as the undercoat / primer.   

P1320437s.jpg.f2c23dd08c199970968b8cf9d04ae50d.jpg

P1320440s.jpg.e4a5a345a5de71c8015675030812cf79.jpg

In short - the job went well and I was well pleased with the finished result.  However I lacked the confidence to paint the exterior panels, so I then took the car to a professional paint shop in Lutterworth. 

I did the body panel repairs and much of the preparation on the exterior panels myself, so all they had to do was their own final prep before paint.  Their paint looked nice and shiny but I was disappointed to see a few runs along some lower edges and the back corners.  Nevertheless I accepted the job and duly paid the bill, £800 plus tax if I recall  ..as I was confident that I could rub those down and polish them out.  I was keen to get on with the task as my Dutch customer wanted 'his car' asap.  However, when I got the car back to the rented workshop, with it sitting higher on the car trailer and outside in the sunlight - it was apparent that they had used a light grey primer.  'Apparent' because you could just see the tonal change between the grey he'd used over my red-oxide. 

I spoke to the customer and explained that I could take the car back and have it redone, but that would mean another month or two's delay.  He wasn't a happy man and as an officer in the Navy had only a limited amount of shore leave.  He made the trip across from Holland to see for himself.  The issue was most noticeable on the lower rear wing, but really wasn't so bad ..as much of it would be hidden by the freshly re-chromed bumper.  Nevertheless, it wasn't right and I was trying to start a high-end business here, so I offered not to charge him at all for that paint job (..I deducted £1000 off the bill).  He could then get the car sooner,  and perhaps he'd have the rear wings resprayed the following winter when back in Holland. He accepted the proposition and when the car was done was happy with it and my workmanship.

P1320436a.jpg.e57694c768e0f96098081009bc0efc66.jpg

Unfortunately he then short changed me another £1000 supposedly because, although advised the engine's compression was just within spec's but not high - he hadn't opted to have me sort that out, but then when back in Holland he had second thoughts - so didn't pay all the bill.  And as that and the paint was my total profit (and wages) in doing the job - I didn't pursue that business.  I've never since trusted a Dutchmen (which is a shame because some are really nice folks) and always question the integrity of those with rank (whether in the military or in business).

So I guess my view on Sue's suggestion is evident  ..but possibly that's just a consequence of my never having been rich enough to pay top dollar.  Still, I don't think I can remember ever (..over the past 40+ years) being 100% happy with a job I've paid to be done, and quite frequently I am unhappy with it or the service provided.  That's a bit sad isn't it. 

Although time &/or motivation is often a limiting factor, I now prefer to do things for myself, and if I don't know how - then like Roger,  I learn.

Hi Pete,

I’m Dutch, so probably know a couple of more Dutch people than you do;) Most are ok, but in business I’ve learnt not to trust people I do not really know, regardless of the country.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Folks,

at long (very long) last I have finished the rear NS wing. 

Yesterday's painting left some odd orange peel but it came off reasonably easily this morning with various grades of W&D and the angle grinder.

The Farecla G3 and G10 with a final Autoglym polish brought up a nice shine.

A couple of tiny marks but I am happy with it.

Roger

DSC_3891a.jpg

DSC_3892a.jpg

DSC_3893a.jpg

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

Yesterday's painting left some odd orange peel but it came off reasonably easily this morning with various grades of W&D and the angle grinder.

Roger

Very nice Roger.   And now you have the quiet satisfaction in knowing you actually painted it.   B)

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

Roger

DSC_3891a.jpg

DSC_3892a.jpg

DSC_3893a.jpg

Well done Roger. It looks great.

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

well, the wing is fitted back on; and it does make the car look a little better.

I promised myself that when the wing was sorted that I would spend some time refitting the upholstery around the rear deck - this didn't happen.

I got carried away doing some electronics and that took too much time. But the circuits worked well.

As it is November now I shall be popping the car into its winter cave for a good sleep.

I wonder what distraction will happen next Spring to slow me down again,again...................................

The passenger door (chipped paint)  and front wing (alignment) need to be looked at now the rear wing is where it should be.

Roger

• 8 months later...
On 11/3/2019 at 9:53 AM, RogerH said:

I wonder what distraction will happen next Spring to slow me down again,again...................................

Hi Folks,

well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works,

So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at home to be played with.

However it did put up a fight.  When I went to start it I could keep it going at 2000 + rpm but any lower and it cut out.

A bit of head scratching, popped some oil in the dash pots and bingo.  Amazing what affect empty dash pots have.

So next week-end I shall look over the car and see what I can do to perhaps finish it off (good and proper).

The GB has a really good oil leak and I'm not sure of the internals quality so I'm toying with removing the GB and get it sort.

I know the near side front wing needs attention and the near side door needs touching up :wub:

So that should sort the summer out.

Roger

On 7/4/2020 at 5:41 PM, RogerH said:

So next week-end I shall look over the car and see what I can do to perhaps finish it off (good and proper).

So that should sort the summer out.

Roger

Hi Tim,

nearly there.

When I mentioned next week-end I actually meant next week-end. 

I am just recovering from a little op.  When my body says go then I'll push the go button - Ouch!!!

Roger

• 9 months later...

Doesn't time fly.

I put the car to bed in November 2020 having done nothing to it between July and November. However I did do a far bit of work on the 4A

So, the Blueracer has surfaced for this years work.

There is not that much to do. So I am hoping to have it at Malvern for the International.    IWE  whatever.

My first priority is to sort the front near side wing. It doesn't quite follow the shape of the door. There appears to be a flat in the middle of its depth at rearmost edge.

Then it will need a spray.

Then I can get on with finishing the upholstery

The car started quite well this morning. I removed the plugs to spin the engine over to get oil and petrol in the right places. Gave it a squirt of StartYaBast**d and it worked.

#3 plug was have a hissy fit but I am homing in  on the problem.

Roger

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

my daily reports are turning into an annual snippet with the occasional monthly note.

Anyway here is today's back of fag packet scribbling.

I have new Champion L87 plugs and NKG plug caps to fit when I next need to move her.

Early last month I had a serious look at the front nearside wing with is relationship to the door.

If you cast your mind back to 2019 PC  (pre-Covid) I had to decimate the near side rear wing to align with the pax door.

Having decided the door was good but the rest of the car was iffy.  

So with the door in the correct place I found the front wing was not a good fit.

It had a very large (area) flat spot from the swage line to half way down the flat area by the 'A' post.

At its' deepest it was a good 2 - 3mm over about 12" semi-circle - so filling was required. Had it been any worse I would have removed the rear wing support that gives the wing its shape in that area and sorted it from there.

However I decided to give filler a try first.

The process I employ is to apply a couple of kilos of filler on and then remove virtually all of it. repeat this many times until the sunsets.

I employ this process because what else can you do with a shovel and an angle grinder .:o

It took a whole day, and a skip load of filler, to get a decent finish. After 3/4 of a day slapping it on and taking it off  I thought i was getting nowhere; then suddenly everything clicked and I could see the finish looming in front of me.

And then it started raining, and raining, and raining.....................................................................

Over the Whitsun bank holiday the Sun popped out so I took the chance and sprayed the wing and Pax door.  I used a 2K primer that appeared to go on well and when rubbed down it was ready for painting.    After a few days to dry in the Sun I stuck the top coat on. I've given up with double sided carpet tape - too fiddly and went for a spray gun (these may catch on - very handy things)  The first top coat on both the door and wing went well - very shiny but with a few nibs, flies, bats and small birds.

This was all rubbed down and I gave it another top coat. Again it was seriously shiny but also again a few areas that needed a gentle rubbing down.

When I rubbed the door  down the actual surface looked a lot worse than I first thought.  I tried rubbing this down using various grades of 2" diameter abrasive pads.

I started with 800grit and this looked as if it was having a good effect - but very slow progress. Going up the grades and then Farcela 3&10 gave a reasonable finish but!!

I ordered some 5" abrasive discs (80 grit up to 3000) to help speed things up and some 3M stuff to replace the G3.

Today I made an onslaught of the wing to use the door finish as a comparison.

Going through 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 & 3000 I had a matte surface that looked nice and smooth with very few imperfections.  The 3m paste felt as if it was doing something that the G3 wasn't. The G10 brought the surface up almost to a polish. I then used Autoglym on a polishing mop.

The overall result was good to very good - I am pleased.  I may need to re-cut all the other panels now.    aaarrrrgggghhhhhh.

I am now going out to see what damage I can do to the door.

I'll be back

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks,

did the same to the door this afternoon and it came up very nice. Possibly not a good as the wing but still nice.

Tomorrow the wing and door will be fitted back on the car and then the final leg begins - except I've got another leg I want to pursue.

The GB has a decent oil leak so I want to remove the GB and sort it.

Roger

Hi Pete,

life gets in the way of too many things. And then it rains.

Today I shall refit the wing, door & beading.

I'm still keen on removing the GB to sort the oil leak  probably this coming week. Annoyingly I no longer have an engine hoist so I hope i can refit the GB from inside.

Then I can concentrate on installing the upholstery.

Roger