Nothing will be happening until AFTER Wednesday next week as you will be helping me entertain and sweeping the patio area after removing your clutter from it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

one step forward, three of four steps backwards.

I had planned on spraying a top coat on my repair but I spotted a dimple in the wheel arch. Not a problem. One good whack with a hammer should sort it.

Well it certainly sorted the filler I was unaware of. Out with the drill and sanding pad.

Having removed various patches of filler and given things a gentle tap to smooth the surface it all looked rather good.

So I have put down a nice coat of etch primer. Saturday I'll attack it with the spray gun.

Roger

Tut, tut.

Seems like you have disobeyed Sue. :blink:

Nothing will be happening until AFTER Wednesday next week

Quick, before she notices nip out and buy her a little something and you may live another day :)

Hi Peter,

you are too much the smoothie. I see you have done this before.

I think I'm still in favour with Su'e as she has iced my ginger cake :wub:

Regarding the rebuild I'm becoming to think I have done this back to front - respray the body; then do all the welding and bashing :blink:

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Today was momentus. Somewhere on our planet something momentus happened.

Meanwhile in West London I decided to spray paint the repaired inner wing.

The etch primer was put on a few days ago and should be nice and dry.

I rubbed it down with some 1500 W&D just to remove any sticky out bits.

I knocked up a small quantity of paint and hardener, puffed up the compressor and let it rip. Well perhaps not a rip but certainly a phut.

The gun I have is small, very small. In fact smaller than that - quite tiny really.

The paint went on well and appeared to cover very well indeed - more on that in a mo.

The finished article looked quite good but will require a little rubbing down ( I'm not quite an expert on this black art) - but I was impressed with what I did.

The only area of concern is the colour.

The car should be Royal Blue (#56). The aerosol I have is a very good match. The 2K spray gun paint is from the same supplier but at present appears slightly richer in colour. I'm wondering if a second coat will darken it up.

I'll give it another coat on Monday.

If it doesn't darken enough then I'll try and source the actual paint that was used in the first place.

So my talents include - machining, bending, bashing, filling, painting, inventing, welding, brazing, - and I can;t do any of them properly :P

In the words of Arny - I'll be back.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

In the words of Arny - I'll be back.

Roger

Correct spelling is 'ah'll be back'

I used Wedgewood Blue on mine, all paint from the same paint shop using same formula (??) yet one batch was a bit paler ??

Edited by littlejim

Who is Amy.......???????

Hi Folks,

the paint that I sprayed on Saturday looked very good (from a reasonable distance). But as I'm a beginer at this lark I found that the masking tape and paper had produced a raised edge at the limits of the painting area.(silly me). In rubbing it down it didn't blend in well (sillier me).

So I decided to rub it all nice and flat and put another coat on.

This time I masked off areas that I didn;t want painting but out of the painting area as such eg the rear bumper and tail lights.

The overall effect was again very good (at a similar distance to above). The over spray area does not have a raised edge but will need rubbing down and then polishing.

Should be interesting to see what finish I get. I can see why people prefer to paint whole panels.

Roger

Fold 1/3 of the sticky side of the tape back on itself before applying, that will create a "Soft" edge.

Stuart.

Hi Roger

been out of the country for a couple of months on the other side of the world and then a sojourn in the sandy bit of the Middle East - great to be back in Blighty - happy and safe in the knowledge that some things are just there, reassuringly in place whatever the world throws at us.

The Monarchy, H.M of course, the Great British pound, spring flowers, April showers, footie.... and your rebuild. Year after year after year...

It's good to be back.

:-)

Is that dog leg still in the middle of the dessert on the road between Oman and Salalah....???

I rode through the dessert on a horse with no name.....!!!

Actually his name was Ali. ( Drift).

Edited by SuzanneH

you can buy 'soft edge' masking tape designed for the job.......

Its expensive and doesnt work very well as it often leaves the glue behind.

Stuart.

Guess who has been having great success getting a beautiful gloss finish from the gun - when you've found him please ask him to pop round and give me some advice.

Clearly there is more to this painting lark then first imagined.

My first attack at the repaired area worked well but I got a lot of overspray on the wheelarch. When rubbed down it looked iffy. So I decided to spray the wheel arch.

Now I'm asking myself the question - why did I choose the day that all the dendelion seeds were flying around; and talk about little flies - go on talk about them.

Any way not to be outdone by mother nature I rubbed down the surface with 1500/2500 W&D and some rubbing compound.

The overall effect is very good but not a high gloss. I've ordered some Farecla G10 to give it a polish.

Flush with moderate success (ever the optomist) I decided to repaint the area either side of the air vent (in front of the screen).

The offside got damaged when the bonnet (sat on wooden supports) slipped and dug a big lump out.

I got it all masked off and let loose with the spray gun. Now I come from the school of 'if a little bit is good enough then put some more on'.

Anyway after ladeling the paint on I sat back and watched it slump to one side. It was like watching Mt.St.Helen blow her side out.

I was thinking of jacking the car up to even out the flow but I was too late.

After a couple of days I rubbed it down flat. It actually looked good in the flat condition but lacked the shine one expects.

Today I went over the top. I removed the windscreen (lifted out of the way).

After spending ages masking the wipers/washer mounts I decided then to remove them (clever move)

I built a polythene structure over the area - quite large actually - to keep the dandelions off and applied another coat of paint (having rubbed the previous one down).

This looked good until I spotted that on the near side there were areas of spots that were avoiding the paint. It looked like a petri dish with some serious bacteria getting a stuffing.

Tomorrow I shall remove the polythene shed and see what disaster I have created.

Do you need paint on the body for an MOT?

Roger

The petri dish type spots are probably silicons, sometimes if you let each coat dry through properly you can eventually bury them. Possibly something on your plastic tent like a release agent.

Stuart.