• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Guess what!. I've gone and got a leaking cock.

Not sure what level of leak I have. According to the CAA there are various leak rates - seep, weep, drip etc

Mine is a drip but very slow - could that be a fast weep. I must check it up.

Never had a leaking cock before, must be age related.

Do you think wrapping PTFE tape around it will help.

Roger

I also know an excellent joke about a leaking cock - rock on Mavern.

Yes to PTFE tape.

Not related to age, related to use.

The more you use it the better it gets. HINT.

The desire to get everything right first time is admirable. The reality is that weeping/seeping/drooping and farting will require ongoing management.#

PS the weeping cock may be related to your friend's green spots. Badfrog has the cure.

ROUTE 1 - Replace everything, fix everything, worry about everything. Fire her up and be disapppointed.

ROUTE 2 - Fill with petrol and light the green touch paper. Be amazed it runs at all and deal with leaks in order of volume.

Chelsea and Man City tried route 1 and they're nowhere.

West Ham are on Route 2 and doing OK. Sam Allardyce is my new hero (but not as good as Harry....)

Hi Paul,

I know route 2 is the way to go but not only do I have a dripping cock but also a bee in my bonnet.

I removed the offending 'new' cock and noticed that the threads were seriously worn down. So much so that putting a fibre washer behind it stopped the threads interlocking.

Tomorrow I shall try and source a blanking plug. Does anybody know the thread size (apprx 0.475" dia ?

Roger

Last month Aston Martin Works quietly started the engine on a barn find DB5 after 30 years in storage.

They are now selling a living object as opposed to a dead body.

Food for the bees....

I wish there was a like button on this forum.

Nice one Paul, keep grinding away at him!

Thanks.

Sue

Hi Paul,

I know route 2 is the way to go but not only do I have a dripping cock but also a bee in my bonnet.

I removed the offending 'new' cock and noticed that the threads were seriously worn down. So much so that putting a fibre washer behind it stopped the threads interlocking.

Tomorrow I shall try and source a blanking plug. Does anybody know the thread size (apprx 0.475" dia ?

Roger

If it's the block cock cock, I replaced mine with a Land Rover cock. That is, a cock from a LandRover, not a Land Rover.

I'm trying to get it finished but I'm being thwarted; thwarted I'm telling you.

Roger

Hmmmmm,

Fatal delusions about finishing a TR4 when everyone knows here is no such thing.

This is the longest, funniest, most heart warming thread on the Forum.

We have felt your pain, cherished your reflections, and admired your stamina.

It is 5* for giggle factor.

Please promise us it will never be finished..........

..........I can feel the army of supporters gathering to give a collective cheer when the beast breathes again.

PS TRs are not capable of thwarting, although many have owners capable of obfuscating. And many more have owners such as me who are simply irritating, particularly when they are right. If Sue leaves you, I'll move in and then you'll wish you'd listened!

Back to my leaky cock (as opposed to Cocky Leeky).

The thread on the cock that goes into the block looked a bit of a mess - as though it was slightly undersized and begining to strip.

So as I am an impatient so and so. I decided to renew the thread.

How do you make it bigger I hear you exclaim. Well you cut off the threaded section and solder on a new end.

Actually a bit more than that. I found that some of the male unions in the Automec fuel pipe kit where the right thread.

So I turned the hex end down to round. Machined off the threaded end on the cock, counter bored the cock to allow the male union to go in and then soldered it together.

I'll see if I can put some pics of it here.

Does it leak - more than likely. We'll see tomorrow.

Roger

Today a number of good things happened.

Moss couldn;t work out why the various bits didn't fit - off to R&D to sort out. Still Moss are very good at refunds when things go wrong, so not much damage done.

Popped along to the TRShop. Richard had a look, rummaged through his shelves and produced a pipe with a female that looked remarkably like the thread on the adaptor that fitted. So we could be in luck, in fact we were. It fitted a treat.

Strangely though the Moss product with the female union did not fit, I think too small - most odd.

I then went to 'Think Auto' for a banjo fitting for the rocker cover. The banjo plus two dowty seals came to £2.65.

The fettled drain cock on the block appears to be holding up. Maybe a different story when I put 7psi behind it.

So at present I am now making some clips to hold the Vacuum pipe to the fuel pipe.

We are getting there.

Roger

Hi Paul,

when I first started out on this onerous task I sourced a new old stock AC RC-1 rad cap, still in its box and quite pristine - they are not common.

I'm not going to try and hunt down a 4psi version as it may not exist.

if my leaky cock goes ballistic then I'll fit a blanking plug.

Roger

Have run out of time this week to breath life into the engine but I did second best.

Filled the new filter with oil, filled the sump, buttoned everything down and pressed the button - did it start, no!.

I had no intention of starting her up. I simply spun it over to get oil pressure on the gauge. Pressure was there so, success.

I had no plugs in so it spun over very freely.

Next Tuesday I'll stick a couple of gallons in the tank and fire the beast up. ooh isn;t it exciting.

Roger

Hi Neil,

If this was in the 90's and I was working on the 4A I would be outside working on it till midnight. But this blue 4 hasn't got the same magic.

I've actually put a fair bit of work into it this week (in comparison). Keep goading me, I need the constant push.

I think it will be running on Tuesday. Then I can wire it all up, Stick some headlights on it and get it MOT'd - Next week here I come.

Roger

What are you going to sit on to take it for the MOT, the floor?

Neil, you can also get onto him about the house in Ickenham, his moustache and his hair!

He is looking more like Magnus Pike every day, or is it Worzel Gummidge?

Sue