The plit thockens - having read some old Q&A's on the TR3 forum I have found that there is another bit that needs to join up with the adaptor - AUC5100.

This screws into the body and the adaptor may or may not screw into/onto this - or maybe not.

Tomorrow I shall re-visit Moss (we are getting quite friendly) and see what transpires.

Roger

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Oh boy oh boy oh boy,

I popped back to Moss this morning for the AUC5100 only to find it is not stocked.

I suppose this not unreasonable as the part isn;t really the sort of thing that you want too often.

However this was annoying as if I could see what it looked like I would then know what I wanted in order to connect the dizzy vacuum pipe to.

When I got home I gave Burlen a call.

'have you got an AUC5100' says I.

'Never heard of it, don;t recognise the number' say he. 'Let me get a carb out of the stores and see what it is'.

'Oh its one of them. How many do you want'

Having established that it is almost certainly the thing that I need, probably, I asked for one.

I'm hoping that with this adaptor and the various pipes and things from Moss I will be able to connect the dizzy to the carb.

So far it has taken three days to nowhere. However this is an improvement as I have spent much longer with other problems actually going backwards.

Roger

Roger, just to inspire you, turn the sound up on your computer and listen to Alan's first start up :D

Edited by TR Mitch

Hi Paul,

I'm still trying to find excuses not to fire it up. Don't ask me why.

Roger

Why....??????

You are so Bl#%y annoying..!

In and out like a fiddlers elbow!

Get on with it.

This gang warfare will not divert my agenda.

There are only a few things to stick on the engine before blast off. The problem is that each obstacle takes days to resolve.

Whilst waiting for this AUC5100 adaptor to arrive I attacked the oil feed to the gauge.

The flexible pipe from the engine that attaches to the copper pipe on the bulkhead was/is so stiff that it would not follow a sensible route without stressing the copper pipe.

So today I found an ace place that does flexible pipes - 'Think Automotive' - some clever racing stuff.

Slightly smaller diameter and a couple of inches longer allows it to curve beautifully.

I'm using the standard diameter copper pipe in the engine bay (I thik is it apprx 3/16" diameter) but I have grafted some 1/8" diameter pipe onto this for behind the dash board.

This allows it to be positioned more easily without stressing the gauge connector.

I wonder what the fickle finger of fate has in strore for me tomorrow - I just can't wait.

Roger

Hi Folks,

the rocker cover that came with the car has a screw thread in the top of it. It had a banjo fitted in venting to atmosphere. Not seen this on most TR4/4A's.

it weighs a ton, really thick material unlike the one on the 4A.

Any ideas if it is a TR4 cover or something else like Vanguard etc.

Roger

Roger,

The cover looks TR4 enough - originally, they had a

brass plug where you have your "fitting".

Looks like a PO fitted that in place of the plug, either

to vent to atmosphere as you suggest, or maybe with

a pipe leading to somewhere.

Or - do you mean the cover itself is very heavy?

AlanR

Hi Alan,

Ah, a brass plug sounds sensible. The intake manifold has a blanked off pipe sticking out of it.

Would there be an advantage in connecting the rocker cover to the manifold to aid crank pressure reduction. Or would that just mess up the intake air.

I see in the Moss cat that the rocker cover could be connected to the carb filters. Any benefit.

The cover is very heavy compared to the 4A item.

Roger

Hi Paul,

I think I know where I would like to put the pipes etc but decency precludes me doing it.

Anyway, the battery is resting in its final position. Just ordered a S/S battery retainer off ebay

The power cables are attached and look neat and tidy.

For the negative side I run a cable from the battery to the bulkhead and also an extra one from the battery to the engine block.

There is also the original chassis/engine strap as well.

Somebody gave me a set of carb air filters and all the fittings but I see that they came in after my comm number.

What style were fitted for early TR4's CT 62xx

More work to do.

Roger

Hi Paul,

have replied. Many thanks for the offer. This forum has some good folk on it.

Hi Graham,

I know my hat is not exactly at the height of sartorial elegance but I do have a better taste in jumpers than a piece of 'humbug' rag.

Mind you the difference is only marginal.

Well, the car has definately had a bit of an upward improvement.

Various wires and cables now in place. Pieces of shrink sleeving over the cable cleats on the body to protect the wires.

A little bit of touch paint on some nicks and blemishes.

The drain cocks on the rad and block have an interesting trick in them. When working on aircraft, things are designed ergonomically so as to reduce errors.

So with the drain cocks closed I started to put some anti-freeze into the rad. After a few moments I happened to notice the small puddle forming under the rad.

The arm on the cock was pointing to the nearside front wheel. Sadly this meant that the cock was open.

Surely the arm should indicate the flow of fluid - straight back = open; sideways = closed.

Clearly the fault is mine. Instead of double checking and sticking bits of wire in holes to see what's happening, I'm expecting it to be right.

Tomorrow I'm hoping that the carb adaptor will be here to put another job to bed.

Roger

OK the saga of the dizzy vacuum pipe took another turn this morning.

The adaptor AUC5100 arrived from Burlen. It fits into the carburettor very nicely. However the other end does not fit into the pipe female union supplied by Moss.

The other adaptor that I first had (AUC4490) also didn't fit into this female union.

The union is 5/16"UNF.(0,312 max diameter x 24TPI) whereas both adaptors are 0.307" max diameter x 25TPI (1mm or 0.040")

Has anybody come across this before. There was a thread last year in July about something similar but they didn;t say what thread was in the pipe female union.

Help

Roger