Engine identification

I am trying to confirm what engine cam and head I have, as rebuilding a 1969 TR6 that I bought already dismantled and off the road for 25years

If anyone could confirm assist would be most grateful

Block. CR2706HEBW no webs on block on inlet side Think it must be from Stag as I Think BW is auto box?

Head V3119 B49 308351 516816 with 1.44 inlets. Early 5/6 150bhp.?

Cam 307689. 3. MC 243. 33. Stanpart. Early 150bhp profile cam.?

Don't think this can be all original my thoughts are engine block has been substituted at some point keeping original head and cam.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone may have confirming my engines identity

Nick

Nick,

Your block and head are from a 2.5PI Mark 1. These engines had the same "CR" prefixed engine numbers as the later TR6 and the same early 516816 head as the CP series TR6. The differentiator between the two "CR" numbered emgines is that the TR6 CR series engines had a number of zeroes in front of the engine number and also by the strengthening ribs on the block. The BW suffix indicates that your engine was originally fitted to an automtatic car. The cam as noted by Alec is from an early TR6 so was probably out of your TR6's original engine.

cheers

Derek

Nick,

Your block and head are from a 2.5PI Mark 1. These engines had the same "CR" prefixed engine numbers as the later TR6 and the same early 516816 head as the CP series TR6. The differentiator between the two "CR" numbered emgines is that the TR6 CR series engines had a number of zeroes in front of the engine number and also by the strengthening ribs on the block. The BW suffix indicates that your engine was originally fitted to an automtatic car. The cam as noted by Alec is from an early TR6 so was probably out of your TR6's original engine.

cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek

Do you know if there is any difference internally crank, compression ratio etc.

Nick

Nick,

No difference internally except for the camshaft and yours has the TR6 cam already fitted as noted by Alec. The compression ratio is also the same.

Derek

Nick,

No difference internally except for the camshaft and yours has the TR6 cam already fitted as noted by Alec. The compression ratio is also the same.

Derek

Yes I agree with Derek. I discovered this 'CR' thing many years ago when I worked for C&B in Balham.

Additionally the top surface of the block on the 2.5PI Mk1 will be flat, so the later head gasket for recessed top blocks should NOT be used. Use the head gasket for Pre CP 75000 TR5/6 engine. - Check before buying head gasket.

Peter W

Thanks for all the info and advice. Enjoying some R&R camping in York Dales.

It should also be fitted with a cross-drilled crank.

I have also been told that things like the con-rods are made from better quality materials or to better tolerances. Things like that.

Think of a MK1 PI engine as basically a detuned TR5 engine.

Cheers

Colin

p.s. if you find you don't want a saloon engine in your TR just give me a call....... ;)

Steve,

MG prefixed engines are from the Mk2 2.5PI. Changes generally followed those of the TR6 as to when the recessed stiffened blocks occurred and from late 72 the camshafts became common between TR6 and saloon so the engines were basically identical from that time onwards.

regards

Derek