TR3 ROR 999 (possibly aka XSU 784 until 1991?)

Does anyone know anything of the history of this car?

Started life as a signal red TR3 in March 1957, then there is no history of any kind until 1990.

It looks like it lost its original plate (ROR 999) at some point and was re-registered as XSU 784.

Then around 1991 (I think), it was re-united with its original number and resprayed powder blue (a later colour that came in with TR3As).

From the bills I have, previous owners names appear to be:

1990 ish: Mr J Woolf, Bodmin, Cornwall.

From the history I have, it looks like he collected all the bits to do a restoration.

1991-92 Mr S Hickling, St Austell,

1992-94 Mr A Wain, Dartford, Kent.

1994-95 Mr Tolhurst, Birling, Kent.

1996 ish Mr J Davies, Guildford, Surrey.

1998-2004 Mr D. Statham, back to Cornwall !! (Helston)

2004-2007 Mrs Wheatley, Dorchester, Dorset

2007 present - Me!

If anyone knows any details of its past, especially pre-1990, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Mike Ellis as sidescreen registrar may be able to fill in some of the gaps . . .

It might also be worth consulting with the Cornwall and Kent groups - collective knowledge in both groups extends a lot further back than 1990.

A letter to TR Action might also prove fruitful.

Cheers,

Alec

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like it lost its original plate (ROR 999) at some point and was re-registered as XSU 784.

It may be worth delving a bit more into the XSU number.

I imported a TR4 from Hong Kong (originally registered

in the UK) in 1989 and was given an RSU number.

At the time, there were quite a few xSU numbers being

dished out to imported cars. I suspect the XSU number

series would only have been issued around 1991.

Why? is the question.

What information do you have on the documents relating

to the XSU number?

AlanR

Hi Alan and Alec,

I only have the history since 1990 and Heritage Certificate from 1991 to go on here.

The Heritage Cert is for ROR 999 - which is non-transferable - and on the back of the Cert in very small hand-writing, next to a stamp, is (from memory) "Registered as XSU 784". It seems to be so small and insignificant that it could even be a unrelated doodle! But I think it is more likely to be a reference to the car's previous reg.

There is no documentation at all prior to 1989 and then a wedge of bills from 1991 for parts from around the country, but mainly Cornwall. Originally it was signal red but is now powder blue, probably from 1991 as there is a receipt for the paint.

When I have a bit more time to devote to it, I will try to find out more.

Thanks for your postings and interest.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

OR was originally a Hampshire plate, I thinklatterly Portsmouth, whereas SU was Scottish but again I think reallocated within Scotland at some point - and SU was subsequently used extensively as a re-issue number for pre-1963 vehicles, probably from the late 1980s.

Cheers,

Alec

• 3 weeks later...