Has anyone used North Devon Metalcraft panels?

I'm thinking of replacing the boot-lid on my 1957 TR3, and North Devon Metalcraft panel prices seem pretty good (£260 instead of £506 from Moss).

Downside is that they need the car to do the fitting and they are almost 200 miles away (but at least it should fit properly).

Has anyone any experience of using these guys in Barnstaple and if so, what are their panels like?

Thanks,

Brian.

If you can persuade them to make the panel in the first place and can ensure that they make it in the correct gauge then as you say with the car there then it should at least fit as these cars are so variable in size. Is your original too far gone and is it a good fit?

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I've only just seen that you are a restorer based very close to Falmouth, where my daughter is at University.

I will be calling you at Watermill soon, to talk about what could be done with ROR 999, which is running very well but as a 1991 restoration, is a bit tired and in need of some work.

Regards,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

The TR Register keeps on file complaints made about suppliers (and the replies from suppliers to those complaints). From my desk I can see five lever arch files of such correspondence spanning 30 years. A quick browse through the files shows that during those 30 years most of the well known suppliers have attracted at least one complaint. The files can be made available to members at the AGM or at the TR Register office in Didcot.

Allen Forster

TR Register General Manager

• 3 years later...

I booked my car in and drove it all the way to Barnstable on a Saturday morning.. My wife came down in the Freelander and we stayed the night.

On Monday morning the father of the two boys working there called me and I had to go down t5o Barnstable again and collect the car. He was very angry and would not explain anything.

I think that NDM stands for Never Did Mine.

Others have had similar problems. They also made a front panel for my 3A which I bought through a major supplier. It is 1/4 too narrow so the the bonnet is a very tight fit. The grill does not fit at each end and when this was pointed out to them on the Saturday they said that there were two sizes of grille made for the 3A???

They may be capable but watch out.

Also the local pub would not let me in with the dog so I had to wait in the main square for 3 hours for my wife to appear.

Richard

I too have a similar story to tell about NDM, and have posted about it more than once, the last time in June 2012, a search for North Devon Metalcraft will find it. I took my car to them about 10 years ago, for a complete new body shell, briefly they had it for nine months and to quote Richard "Never Did Mine" either.

The two sons were fine, but the father wasn't, if would go further but this is an open forum.

If anyone on the forum has had a good experience with them, with their luck, I suggest they continue to do the lottery.

John

The rear wings are flatter on the sides and the shape of the wing below the tail light is straight. So if you use them, you will have to add about 1/2" or more bondo to reshape the curve of the rear valance. See photos. Normally the shape below the rear tail light is curved.