Metal Tonneau Cover

You might think I'm posting this to advertise or introduce a new topic about this rare/unusual triumph part. I am in the process of building one of these like the SP models (Jabbeke, Maccau Tr2). I know these are rare to come by and there aren't few around. Actually, there are only two I know have been made by Triumph. I'm sure if you you go through the roots like Bill Piggot or Graham Robson, you can find a few produced, but I, like most don't have these connections. My friend has machine shop and is making me one for a favor on my part. I have pictures of replica metal tonneau covers, and a few of MVC575. I know some have frowned upon replica parts, but I think it is what makes Triumph keep living. Without new production parts, Most of out TRs today will be still sitting in a barn or in our garage tarped over, sitting, and just waiting.. The question I have is how do you mount one of these covers? Is it like the hardtop mounts, or like a Dzus mount? Thank you for your interest.

JDB

Edited by JDB

JBD:

I have always wanted one of those, so I am eagerly waiting to hear how yours turns out. I have tried to get plans, or dimensions, or something more than just eyeballing it to make a copy, but to no avail. Please let me know what material you plan to use and if plans or details can be shared.

Aloha

Dan

JBD:

I have always wanted one of those, so I am eagerly waiting to hear how yours turns out. I have tried to get plans, or dimensions, or something more than just eyeballing it to make a copy, but to no avail. Please let me know what material you plan to use and if plans or details can be shared.

Aloha

Dan

The trouble is mounting the thing. The Jabbeke team easily took it off and put a convertible top and windshield on. Wonder how they mounted it.. I have pictures and a video but thats about it. I plan to use aluminum(easy to shape). You have to shape it on the interior capping and so, find a way to mount the metal sheet onto the car (kind of like a tr2 hardtop). I will post picture when we're done. In the mean time, Any ideas?

JDB

When I was helping build the TR2 SP replica we looked at making a metal cockpit cover like the Jabbeke car, but in RHD. Unfortunately the owner became medically unable to drive before the car was completed and needed to travel in the passenger seat, so the metal cover was never made.

We planned to remove the vynil tonneau lift the dot pegs, then attach the metal cockpit cover with SS sheet metal screws of the same thread size. Around the back capping we'd use SS metal thread bolts. That way the metal cover would be safely attached, yet the car could easily be returned to normal use.

Quick removal of the cover would be made easier if the rear cockpit had captive nuts for the metal threads.

Viv.

Thanks Viv,

You have done a fantastic job with Copeland's TR2SP. Anyways, my idea was to use DZUS mounting brackets with our standard T tool. I'm pretty sure it is what the Jabekke team used. However, the owner of the MVC575 might have a clue, but I don't want to bother him.

Thanks,

JDB

My guess (and it IS only a guess) is that they would have used

the holes for the tonneau fixings, remove the self tapping tenax

and replaced with a s/t screw.

Using dzus fasteners would have been far too fiddly for a quick-fit

one-off item, with a bracket having to be fitted inside the door,

around the scuttle and rear saddle.

I have just googled some images - the fixings seem to be small

and neat, not large enough for a dzus fastener.

I may just have an 8x10 factory enlargement of the Jabbeke car -

somewhere ?

AlanR

Ohh Alan,

I would like a copy of that Print... Or original if you would like to sell it..? Anyways, I re-examined the pictures I have, and it seems that they used the Tenax Screws on the 1954 Macau TR2, that won 1st place that year. Many people don't know about this car, but its value is that of the MVC575, more or less. The metal Tanneau cover is still intact, and is RHD!

Tada!

Triumph

JDB

Actually, correct me.... There were 5 Metal Tanneau Cover. 3 of which were made for the 1954 Grand Prix and 2 for the famous SP Models. God, what is the value of these cars today??? I hope not as much as that TR3S posted a few months back..

If your wondering, Here is some of the connections I have of the 1st Grand Prix. All of these cars had Metal Tanneu Covers.

Eduardo de Carvalho - Triumph TR2

Paul Du Toit - Triumph TR2

Reginaldo da Rocha - Triumph Tr2

Thanks,

JDB

Edited by JDB

Actually, correct me.... There were 5 Metal Tanneau Cover. 3 of which were made for the 1954 Grand Prix and 2 for the famous SP Models. God, what is the value of these cars today??? I hope not as much as that TR3S posted a few months back..

If your wondering, Here is some of the connections I have of the 1st Grand Prix. All of these cars had Metal Tanneu Covers.

Eduardo de Carvalho - Triumph TR2

Paul Du Toit - Triumph TR2

Reginaldo da Rocha - Triumph Tr2

Thanks,

JDB

JDB,

Your post got me thinking.

I was working in Hong Kong in 2004, the 50th anniversary of the

first Macau Grand Prix.

I recall the organisers did everything they could to track down

the TR2 that won the inaugural event - but without success.

I thought they had ended up arranging a BRG TR2 lookalike,

but don't quote me on it.

So did the car turn up later? Not certain - maybe it did.

I assume the registration plate 9517 is for show only?

From memory, I thought the winning car was fitted with a tonneau

cover but you are quite right - all three TR2 entries had metal

tonneaus, painted body colour (as far as I can tell - only B&W

photos of the event, it seems).

I have a book titled "Colour and Noise" - a history of the Macau

Grand Prix. From the photos in the book, the fixings are small,

too small to be dzus, and as they seem to follow the normal position

of the tenax fasteners, I still think they would have just replaced

the tenax with a self tapping screw.

My guess would be that these were handmade by the owners, not factory

made, though I have no evidence.

Two of the three Macau cars carry Hong Kong registration numbers.

Long door models, and with a special windscreen, similar to the Jabbeke

car but not full width. Wider than an aeroscreen, though.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

I thought these metal tonneau covers were banned by the racing rules because of what might happen in a side-ways crash.

Why not consider a carbon fibre composite material instead?

Thanks for your replies. Alan, it seems as if they were custom made due to the difference of the Covers between 9517 and MVC575. On the other hand.. just dreaming, angelfj... The guy I have making the Tanneau Cover does make carbon fiber material and can shape it if he has the molds.. Anyways, I will be going withe Tenax fasteners, under the cover, hidden like the Jabbeke Car. He's also working on my other, Very different 3A.

JDB

JDB,

You can ask Ken Mumford, he build a Jabbeke replica as well in the nineties.

Don't have his phone number but Stuart might have.

Regards - Raymond

Kens number is 02089981626.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

We used to have a red tr3 with a cover in the kent group it also had spats it looked great, unfortunatly the owner passed away the car was sold i do remember the fasteners were not all that clever, not pro enough. mark tredders might know where it is ??? i have a pic somewhere on comp if i find it ill post it.

TR6_0069.jpg

Kelvin,

Is this the TR2 and/or picture you're lookin' for ?

I didn't notice your license plates before.......they are great anyway !

Regards - Raymond

Hi raymond hope u & your wife are well!! Thanks for the pic this looks like the car i was talking about looks great!!!

Hi raymond hope u & your wife are well!! Thanks for the pic this looks like the car i was talking about looks great!!!

More photos of this car would be appreciated. Is this colour the famous geranium?

More photos of this car would be appreciated. Is this colour the famous geranium?

No this is Geranium.

Stuart.

international016.jpg

The Kent Car belonged to Mike Duggan. I seem to remember a photograph of it in a copy of TR-Action when he used it to get married: That would be about five or six years ago. Of course, the tonneau was left off on that occasion for logistical purposes!

Maxwell :huh::rolleyes:

Frank,

In answer to your question I don't have any more pictures of the 790 JKB Jabbeke replica.

But instead a picture of Ken Mumford's TR2 Jabbeke replica, which he owned in the nineties.

This picture, taken by Tony Baker, has been published in Classic & Sportscar in November 1993.

In my opion a very nice Jabbeke replica as well.......what ever happened with this TR ??

Regards - Raymond

Edited by sidescreen

No this is Geranium.

Stuart.

international016.jpg

this geranium car belongs to allan peatfield kent group he has a 4a now being rebuilt wich he has had for 20 years

Frank,

In answer to your question I don't have any more pictures of the 790 JKB Jabbeke replica.

But instead a picture of Ken Mumford's TR2 Jabbeke replica, which he owned in the nineties.

This picture, taken by Tony Baker, has been published in Classic & Sportscar in November 1993.

In my opion a very nice Jabbeke replica as well.......what ever happened with this TR ??

Regards - Raymond

Thanks Raymond!