Brass drain plug on Overdrive Unit - socket size?

Phil - I had to buy a separate socket for my half inch drive because my socket set did not inculde any sockets this large.

Mine is 1 and 3/16" across flats and I use it to remove the hex brass nut on my overdrive. I put a piece of masking tape on it which reads "O/D" since this is the only nut where I need to use this socket.

Before buying this, I used a huge adjustable spanner which would slip and burr the corners round on the hex. I actually had to had hand file the burrs off the nut with a flat file while lying on my back under my 1958 TR3A till I could get the new socket onto the hex. Since then, I have had no such problems removing the brass drain nut.

Roger Alderton, of the Chiltern Group, tells me that he's been in touch with Overdrive Repair Services in Sheffield and they have the precise tool on the shelf. It's not cheap at £20 +VAT but it'll do the job well (he hopes).

Tel: 0114 248 2632. e-mail: info@overdrive-repairs.co.uk

Ian Cornish

Ian - Might that special key be designed to remove the newer special drain plug (with 2 wings ?) which was used on later TRs ? The A-type overdrive that came new with my TR3A in 1958 takes the standard hex socket described above.

...and my A type drain plug needs a 'C' spanner....... no Hex

john

Hi guys;

Ian asked me to post my views of the tool for removing the brass sump plug on the "A" overdrive on my six so here they are. Other than being a very happy customer I have no connection with Overdrive Repair Services but I do think they are a fantastic resource for those of us with overdrive units.

"Firstly, a word about Overdrive Repair Services although I suspect you may be familiar with these suppliers who seem able to provide comprehensive support and service for our overdrive units.

The chap I spoke to was quite helpful, carried the spanner on stock and was quick to get it out to me by first class post at £3.00. Given the weight I thought this reasonable.

The tool itself is, I believe, laser cut from what I think is good quality high grade steel sheet about 5/16" thick. It takes the form of a flat ring spanner with six nibs arranged equi-distant around the inside diameter. The nibs are a good fit in the notches around the circumference of the sump plug. The tool is made with an integral handle which is about 8" long and a good inch in width and which is cranked downwards to help clear chassis rails. Its finished well and free from sharp edges, is of good weight and very robust.

In use I found it necessary to tap the ring to engage the sump plug because burrs on the notches formed over the years effectively create an interference fit. This was not difficult to do. The absence of "slop" means that any turning moment is immediately transmitted to the sump plug which gave up without a fight. I did refit the plug using a piece of steel tube over the handle just to be sure that it was nipped enough to eliminate the possibility of leak.

All in all a very useful addition to the TR toolbox for £27.60 and avoiding bruised knuckles and damaged plugs."

Hope this helps

Rog

I contacted Overdrive Repair Services about the drain plugs. They have confirmed that there are two types used on overdrives fitted to TRs - one with the hexagon 'nut', the other with the ears (as described by Roger).

From Overdrive repair Services, Sheffield:

Yes, there are the two types of plug. 13/16” should fit the hexagon type, but also close is 11/16” Whitworth - not correct size, but very close.

Advice from me (standard practice on competition cars):

Whilst you have the drain plug out of the overdrive, it is worth drilling a hole through the hexagon (1st type) or one of the ‘ears’ (2nd type) of the plug of a size sufficient to take a length of wire. After re-fitting the plug, the wire can be passed through the hole and secured to anything convenient – this will prevent the plug unscrewing even were it to become loose.

Ian Cornish

I contacted Overdrive Repair Services about the drain plugs. They have confirmed that there are two types used on overdrives fitted to TRs - one with the hexagon 'nut', the other with the ears (as described by Roger).

From Overdrive repair Services, Sheffield:

Yes, there are the two types of plug. 13/16” should fit the hexagon type, but also close is 11/16” Whitworth - not correct size, but very close.

Advice from me (standard practice on competition cars):

Whilst you have the drain plug out of the overdrive, it is worth drilling a hole through the hexagon (1st type) or one of the ‘ears’ (2nd type) of the plug of a size sufficient to take a length of wire. After re-fitting the plug, the wire can be passed through the hole and secured to anything convenient – this will prevent the plug unscrewing even were it to become loose.

Ian Cornish

Hi guys - just to clear any possible misunderstanding this is the sump plug on my overdrive.

This is my first attempt at posting an image - treat me gently if its hopeless.

Cheers

Rog

post-4245-0-86823600-1305104680_thumb.jpg

post-4245-0-86823600-1305104680_thumb.jpg

Rog that is the later type of plug which will require the ORS special spanner. You can see from the state of some of the "ears" that PO`s obviously didnt have one ;)

Stuart.