Ignition Barrel

I can't seem to lock my ignition switch in place. Whenever I turn the key the whole thing moves, had it off, so to speak, it has a spring washer and a flat brass nut, lock it up tight as you like but no good. It's a new Lucas switch and although i have a few spare old ones the thead is different. Thought about locktite but didn't know if there any other ideas out there.

Thanks

Andy

I'd be interested to see what solutions are suggested as my car has exactly the same idiosyncrasy !

Ever since I fitted a walnut dashboard - I've just assumed that the nut couldn't grip against the veneer.

Regards

Peter

Hi Andy,

Its a long time since I replaced my ignition barrel, but speaking from memory, the barrel should have a 'flat' on one side, which mates with a 'flat'in the metal plate behind the fascia, which stops the barrel revolving.The lock nut just keeps it nicely in place, but probably won't stop it revolving if the'flat' isn't present in the metal plate.

Geoff

Andy

You need to beg, borrow or st_ _ _ a switch bezel tool, see Moss's website.

I tried making a home made tool, without much success.But with the right

tool for the job, as they say, it was a doddle.It allows you to get a good purchase

on the bezel nut.

I'd still just put masking tape on the surrounding trim, in case of mishap.

Bob

There is a good switch bezel tool regularly for sale on ebay. Works very well - much better than trying to use two screwdrivers.