Handbrake Pawl

I have been having trouble getting my 'fast-release' handbrake to release on my 67 4A. I have purchased a new 'pawl' from Moss which they say is from a TR6. However before I change it can I confirm that it is identical to the original. It certainly appears so! If this is right, then how does this pawl change the mechanism from 'fast-release' to standard release.?

Secondly, how do I get the damned thing off?

Thanks guys WJB

I have been having trouble getting my 'fast-release' handbrake to release on my 67 4A. I have purchased a new 'pawl' from Moss which they say is from a TR6. However before I change it can I confirm that it is identical to the original. It certainly appears so! If this is right, then how does this pawl change the mechanism from 'fast-release' to standard release.?

Secondly, how do I get the damned thing off?

Thanks guys WJB

Hi, are you sure you are operating the fly-off brake correctly when you try to release it? Lift and drop, don't use the button...

Andy

Hi, are you sure you are operating the fly-off brake correctly when you try to release it? Lift and drop, don't use the button...

Andy

The 4/ 4a handbrake was fly off type (as described by Andy) but the 6 is conventional. The 6 pawl is a drop in fit to the 4, so Moss is right in that respect, but it means that operation is then switched to conventional. This was discussed recently, under a discussion about unreasonable MOT inspectors.

Mike

The 4/ 4a handbrake was fly off type (as described by Andy) but the 6 is conventional. The 6 pawl is a drop in fit to the 4, so Moss is right in that respect, but it means that operation is then switched to conventional. This was discussed recently, under a discussion about unreasonable MOT inspectors.

Mike

Thanks Mike, the two pawls look absolutely identical, I cant understand how the 6 one can change it to conventional?? Do you know how to get the pin out? Will it be best to take it to the local blacksmith?

rGDS wjb

Thanks Mike, the two pawls look absolutely identical, I cant understand how the 6 one can change it to conventional?? Do you know how to get the pin out? Will it be best to take it to the local blacksmith?

rGDS wjb

HI

Me neither, in fact I just looked at the Moss drawings on line for the 5-6 and compared them to their printed catalogue for the 4-4A, (page 63) where they make that comment on change of operation. Perhaps it's the way it goes together with the spring and button fixing on the lever. You can't tell from the exploded drawings. Lucky for me I have not had to dismantle or remantle my handbrake, so I have not had to worry about taking the pin out. Looking at it, I suspect when I got to that stage I would be thinking about giving it a puff of Plus-Gas, supporting it across the jaws of my vice or even an opened pair of piers and just tapping it out with a hammer and punch. And if I couldn't find a punch an old bolt or drill bit of the appropriate diameter.

Mike

Edited by MikeF

Possibly not much help, but a number of years ago when rebuilding my '4', I purchased a replacement pawl - I believe it is the same for all TR's and 'turned around' for fly-off operation(?)

This may be a load of bo^^ocks though!!! It was '93 :o

I do recall that the handbrake did not seem to work correctly until fitted and with 'tension'. At the time I only has the Haynes Manual to go by... and I managed!

Good luck!

I recently converted my 4A's handbrake from fly-off to "conventional" operation. I did buy a new pawl and pivot pin but I didn't need them. The pivot pin is shouldered and hammered over at one end to hold it in. I simply ground off the end and drifted it out. I replaced it with a machine screw and washers and a nut.

The pawls are identical. The fly-off type has the operating rod connected through a hole in the pawl situated between the "claw" and the pivot. I bent the operating rod into a hook shape that fitted round the curved top of the pawl. Thus, the button on the handbrake now moves the pawl in the opposite sense from the fly-off and when pushed it disengages the pawl from the ratchet.

It would be much simpler to show you a picture but unfortunately I didn't take any photographs of the procedure.

James

Found this photo taken by someone else. Ignore the area circled in red.

post-3151-0-20465100-1303584699_thumb.png

well this thread turned out to be quite illuminating, in more ways than one, thanks. I never really understood what/why Moss were saying about pawls and now I do.

Mike

well this thread turned out to be quite illuminating, in more ways than one, thanks. I never really understood what/why Moss were saying about pawls and now I do.

Mike

Thanks to all, I will try the modification a la picture! Rgds WJAB