popping into neutral!

i need a little help with my 3a gearbox. sometimes, when not under load, my 3a will pop out of third into neutral. not a major problem (i hope) as there are no major crunching noises. she will happily stay in gear whilst braking or accelerating on the gearbox, but if i coast her in 3rd, occasionally, the stick just pops out. plus the 'gate' is not very well defined (sloppy), i have to be carefull not to push the stick too far right as she will slip over to reverse. this should be a lift and shift right.

is the selector cluster a bit worn or do various bits need renewing. as the gearbox performs well otherwise i want to avoid a complete gearbox overhaul.

i have had cars that started to jump out of gear when under load but this is not the same.

peter

I borrowed a gear box once (don't ask... but mine was getting rebuilt), and when you selected second shortly after pulling away from a junction and continued to accelerate towards the point you'd change into third if you didn't keep your hand there to hld it in second.

I think it was to do with something being worn... well, I know it was, and someone even told me what it was... but my memory is failing me at the moment.

The selector shafts are maintained in gear position by spring loaded balls  in the gearbox cover.They avoid the shafts to travel. The reverse has a spring loaded plunger.You will probably have to remove the cover and give a little more load to the springs.

Jean

I had a similar problem when I bought my car, and thought that the new second gear and syncro ring that came with it were bought for a purpose.  But no, the previous owner just hadn't installed the TR4 tranny properly, and the shop just had to put it in right.  Good luck.