Hi Jonlar and thanks,

Both, if my two boys have their way!

But next Sunday (25th), I'm visiting the "Triumph Day" at Brookline MA, organised by the New England Triumph Club.

All being well, I plan to meet up with a friend of Don Elliott, Mike Gambordella, who has a very nice TR3 and talk "TR" over a few beers for a while.

I intend to take loads of photos and submit an article for a future TRaction.

Regards

Andrew

:D Andrew,

I doubt you will read this until after your trip to Boston. I hope you enjoy it as much as we will enjoy Malvern.

As you are clearly of a sensitive nature I will apologise for not saying a big thank you for your post, which I will correct right now with a "thank you"

As you may have noticed by reading the threads (which I admit I do not always do – lifes too short) I have been thanking people for their suggestions. As it was I had not, until today read your post and its helpful suggestions. All of which I may add I have tried prior to my first post with the exception of the new rad which is currently being fitted (no starter handle hole) as stated in my posts. I will be delighted if I can get my temp down to the figures you are experiencing.

Overheating does appear to be a major concern for side screen owners and I sure we all wish to hear of any new causes or remedies e.g. possible affects of unleaded fuel. It is also good to inform those less versed in these matters of the tried and tested solutions. This is where the forum and TRaction come into their own.

So thank you again for your post. That said(twice now)I must say I see a forum as a message board not a personal conversation media like say a phone, and would not normally expect to thank everyone - I see it as a given. Should we all decide to thank each other for our posts, then I for one would not have the time, and the forum would soon be clogged with platitudinous self satisfying responses.

So once again I apologise for offending your sensibilities, your apologies for being a bit previous are unnecessary, and to say your car looks fabulous. Mine is a lot “tattier” but then it gets a hard life

Finally thank you to Robgeev for springing to my defence – clearly conversation had/has not stopped, and to all contributors to this item.

Duncan  :P

Guest mikemd

Just another comment on this subject - the cardboard ducting is available for <£10 I think from Moss etc. However, it will only last a couple of English summers before the continous rain causes it to buckle and warp - so much so that mine was fouling the Kenlowe. My solution was to remove it and make up a copy in aluminium sheet (an old estate agents sign). However, to aid fitting I made this in 3 parts - 2 side pieces plus the bridge piece, which I then joined together inside the apron. It seems to work, and sprayed matt black looks fine.

Duncan - no thanks required!

Guest chris jameson

{you were recommended to bleed neat Redex (proprietary upper cylinder lubricant) directly into the carb (air cleaner removed),}

Hi Jonlar,

Yes!  Redex was the stuff I was thinking of...I wonder if you can buy it these days....If nothing else, it does produce a spectacular smokescreen.

Duncan,

I am running HS6 carbs on my 3a, and the setup seems to run OK.  Maybe your camshaft mod, perhaps....if the thing wasn't overheating before the rebuild..

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris,

yes the set up has had something to do with it. I ran for 12 months with the new fast road cam but had not set up the timing, carbs or valve clearance to the best advantage, so was running a somewhat muted cam.Once I had her correctly tuned and set up I got lots more power and natuarally also lots more heat.

My theory is that before the rad coped with the modest temps being generated. Now I run a hotter engine I beleive I have just found the weak spots. I am also certain that unleaded creates more heat, and recent fuels even more so.

Is there anyone out there who can verify this?

I do not have a 4 branch exhaust( yet!) I am using the standard TR4a one which I understand is the next best thing to a 4 branch. I also wonder if fitting a 4 branch and therfore removing more (hot) exhaust gases quicker would also help.

But right now I am trusting in the new rad and will be at Malvern whatever.

cheers Duncan

Yes!  Redex was the stuff I was thinking of...I wonder if you can buy it these days....If nothing else, it does produce a spectacular smokescreen.

Hi Chris, Redex is still available in the UK, do you want some exported if not available with you?

• 2 weeks later...

:D New rad fitted,sans starter hole, on Thursday before Malvern. No problems at all - she now runs as cool as the proverbal cucumber. A very fast run back on Monday and she never got over 185 - wonderful.

Here endeth the saga - for me anyway. And a big thank you to Steve Hall and TR enterprises for all their help along the way.

Duncan

As you are clearly of a sensitive nature........I must say I see a forum as a message board not a personal conversation media

Hello Duncan - this is not a personal conversation, honest :D

Back from New England: you may be pleased to learn that they have been looking after the place exceptionally well since we handed it back!

I'm not a sensitive sole as you suggest, but on reflection was probably a bit hyper, as I was getting nagged for being on the Forum when I hadn't even packed my kit for the holiday starting 2 hours later: plenty of time! No excuses though.

Glad to read you sorted out your overheating in time for Malvern. As for me, sadly I didn't get to the Triumph Day in Boston due to the Democrat National Congress which virtually closed the whole place - well done John Kerry! :angry:

Best Wishes

Andrew

Don't mention it!  :)

Andrew,

glad you enjoyed the trip all the same Boston TR's or not. I think Kerry missed agreat Photo opportunity.

Like the Pic with the Phone box and letter box - very period.

I am just back from two days at Prescott VSCC - very hot 85-90f - and no problem with overheating at all, which is more than I could say for some of the cars hitting the Hill :cool:

Hi Duncan

Yes, Boston was great, but although I didn't get to the Triumph Day show, I still manage to photograph a rather nice black TR3A waving (with two fingers?) to a Cobra on the way to Cape Cod.

Also, a very nice black E-Type with the Reg No: XKE 1, from Connecticut.

Regards

Andrew