TR5 Air Manifold Assembly Question

Does anyone know when the TR5 changed from non air bleed manifold assembly to the air bleed type.

My TR5 built 12th May 1968 has no air bleed screw on the front manifold and no air pipe connector on the air manifold.

I just want to know if mine is right for the date.

On page 70 of Bill Pigott's Restorers Guide it is showing an air bleed screw not similar to the later TR6 brass screw as on my 1971 TR6.

If it does't have an air bleed screw how is air intake regulated?

Many thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike

My 5 was built very close to yours on 23rd May and also has the original none air bleed manifold. It is my understanding that all 5's(?) were originally delivered like this but soon modified by dealers - under warrenty presumably - due to problems with obtaining a good and satisfactory idle. I believe that these original manifolds are now a rare find... Incidentally, mine idles quite happily at 700-800RPM (and lower when 'cold'). In addition, the Air Plenum has only one inlet pipe (for the rocker breather). The later TR6 plenum have the two inlets of course.

Brgds

• 2 weeks later...

No. later 5's had the air bleed screw ala tr6, both my late cars (unloved barn finds or similar so probably origional) had the later set up.

Early cars had no bleed screws and, as has been mentioned, were set up to idle by cracking open the butterflies. This led to problems with general running and an interim solution was to have dealers fit a factory supplied air bleed (which is nothing like the later production solution).

What might be of interest is to establish when the rubber tube linking the injector manifold to the plenum chamber changed from a plain pipe to a moulded pipe.

Hi Red 6

I saw one of the first TR5s to be built last weekend and this had the earlier air bleed screw fitted.

It was interesting as the air bleed pipe was connected to the air filter assembly and not the plenham assembly.

Mike,

I don't believe that any TR5's left the factory with an air bleed. I have a copy of the factory service instruction and drawings issued to the Dealerships for this modification dated December 1968 which is after TR5 production ended.

cheers

Derek

• 4 weeks later...

My TR5 in 1984

was fitted with no bleed and my brother said scrap that and fit the TR6 type manifold (now its worth a future)

however i have the TR6 type and purcahsed an original TR5 manifold and also purchased a funny little bleed screw fitted by the dealers,

so mine is a feb 69 build so i assume from above the original way for the rebuild is to fit the dealer bleed ?

cheers

david

My TR5 in 1984

was fitted with no bleed and my brother said scrap that and fit the TR6 type manifold (now its worth a future)

however i have the TR6 type and purcahsed an original TR5 manifold and also purchased a funny little bleed screw fitted by the dealers,

so mine is a feb 69 build so i assume from above the original way for the rebuild is to fit the dealer bleed ?

cheers

david

Depends on whether you want the "Straight out of the factory" build style or "Bought from the dealers showroom" look. :);)

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice the car has sold for £14500.00.

I remember selling an origional un modified set of injector manifolds to someone on here. They were from a very early TR5 i had restored I remember thinking what a pig it will be setting up the idle with feeler gauges on the butterflies so fitted a TR6 set instead and it ran beautifully.

I notice the car has sold for £14500.00.

I remember selling an origional un modified set of injector manifolds to someone on here. They were from a very early TR5 i had restored I remember thinking what a pig it will be setting up the idle with feeler gauges on the butterflies so fitted a TR6 set instead and it ran beautifully.

Hi Tom

that was me, i now have original type, after market valve and TR6 type just to be sure

i am slowly getting my bits together, i didnt go for your grille as i had two but always on the look out for badges and wheel trims (the wife will kill me if i buy another wheel trim)hows the lotus

david

HI i am fine

just doing the fast road engine just got back from the engine place wear in the bores new rings might do it but build and leave it then its new pistons £400 + vat i didnt budget on, but hey the sun is shining and i am going to cut the grass very therapeutic

cheers

david