Overhead throttle linkage

Can anyone advise on the relative merits of the various kits on offer? I have pretty rough running at low revs and i know that the butterflies are a significant contributor. The Revington TR one is quite pricey compared to the Prestige one. Following yesterday's thread about engine tuning by CobraPaul I found my way back to an older thread linked by Ivor which recommended one by someone in the Leicester group. I do prefer the idea of the overhead kit in case I ever get a rush of blood to the head and start changing exhaust manifolds etc - albeit all in the future :)

Youre right , they are expensive. If youre current linkage is tired you could try this. I cut mine in half and replaced the bushes with steel sleeves and then a quick spot weld to stick it back together and bought new rods (from linkage to inlets) from Moss. Cheap and cheerful and now have a good reliable linkage for rather less than the overheads. Wait for some other responses as I think there are various pro/cons with overheads and extractor manifolds etc. Tony Millward in Australia had his own made up and it looks v good, you could search and see what he did (he's on this Forum)

Robin

I have used one of Reg Bowlers Linkages for over three years now.

I know Reg as a fellow Leicester Group Member. He is a retired Rolls Royce, Coventry, engineer.

His linkages are very easy to set up, they can be installed and set up before your tea goes cold. They provide very fine adjustment, and once fitted are consistent in performance. Everything is machined by Reg in his own workshop. Yes I know Reg and he is a mate. But I would not hesitate to recommend his work. I know he has made loads now, some fitted to very demanding cars.

At least seven Leicester Group members have them fitted. Everyone remarks on the quality of his work,and the improvement of butterfly position accuracy his mechanism brings about.

But if you are thinking about buying one from Reg then I urge you to get in quick as I know he has plans to stop making them soon as they are taking up too much of his time.

I think it's a great thing that engineers like Reg apply themselves to help TR motoring along. I have injectors re-calibrated by Mike Bilney, and a wind break made by David Smith of the Derbyshire Group, and the Indicator light and sounder made by John Wells. All add to my TR enjoyment!

Terry,

how do we contact Reg and Mike ? Any clues what the Reg linkage is cost wise ?

Thanks

Robin

Here's what mine looked like, not too difficult really. The hardest part was making the plates that fit on the front of the throttle bodies that hold the main shaft. The independent linkages to each butterfly are generally available and adjustable. Piccy below:

Cheers

Tony

IMGP1938.JPG

I have used a Prestige overhead linkage on my race TR6 for around 7 - 8 years now with total reliability.

The fixing plates/mountings to the front of the throttle bodies are rudimentary but succesful.

It clears a reasonably wide 6 branch exhaust manifold without any trouble.

The individual turnbuckle linkages to each buttefly are simple to adjust and balance.

I would recommend it to anyone.

Dave McD

Hi Tony, Nice Pic. Who supplied it? Or did you make it?

Q

It is totally home made and worked extremely well. Most of the bits can be sourced from auto spares shops or the internet.

Cheers

Tony

• 2 years later...