Squealing Brakes

Guest Chris TR7

Guest Chris TR7
I had my brake pads replaced by a garage and was told the calipers were ok. Then the offside brakes started to bind shaking the steering wheel quite violently. This made things get really hot as there was smoke coming from the wheel. So i took it back and he said it needed a new caliper after all. This was fitted and the same brake pads were used i presume. Then they started to squeal after a short journey, only when brakes applied and if appiled sharply it stopped. Took it back and they put copper grease on the back of pads etc. Did the trick! Lasted about 8months covering only 1000 miles and it's doing it again. Tried the copper grease trick myself to no avail. Could the pads or disc be warped or damaged in someway? Or am i not doing the copper grease job properly. Any help would be grateful as the squealing drives me mad.

Hi Chris

How about the ati-squeal shims? You didn't mention them, but they should be there, and, as intimated by their name, they help stop brake squeal. If you haven't got any, give S+S a ring, they will help you out (and offer good advice about any other popssible cause of your problem)

Good luck - Mike

Chris.

I agree with Mike on the shims, I have just rebuilt the whole front suspension & brakes, fitted new pads & shims to the overhauled calipers and no squeals, it even stops now!

Copperslip is an anti-sieze compound not a lubricant, it's vaseline with bits of copper in it and if you place it between two moving surfaces it will get worn away eventually, the heat generated by brake pads also adds to the problem.

I have used copperslip in engineering for over 25 years and it's great for stopping threads siezing, even under water!

The anti squeal shims are usually brass and isolate the pistons from the pads which can vibrate due to wear in the brakes, disks or even the suspension and steeering.

If the shims don't sort the problem then start checking for wear in the other components.

Best of luck sorting it.

Dave

:;):

Guest Chris TR7
Got the shims and i fitted them today. I kept some copper grease on the back of the offending pads though. No problems so far so good. I did see these shims in the haynes manual diagram and i just didn't register them when this problem occured. Ah well, all done now thanks for the help everyone.