Last night I had to abandon the TR(for a short time ) because the brakes stuck on.

The brake pedal felt solid from setting off and became progressively more so as everything got nice and hot.  It finally got to the stage where the car could barely move.

After letting it sit for a couple of hours, everything had returned to normal.

It is clearly a hydraulic problem at the master cylinder as all of the brakes were on (and smoking at the end of it).  I suspect that the return valve is sticking or that there is some dirt in there somewhere.  I did re-build the cylinder a few months ago and it has worked fine until now.

Does anyone have any other ideas.

I plan to strip the cylinder down again, but may just replace it as Abingdon appear to have them at a good price.

Dave

I presume the braking system is similar to a TR4 and on mine there is a non return valve in the line from the master cylinder bolted to the chassis by the exhaust manifold.

I don't know whether they are rebuildable but I think they are still available and it might be worth atry before you get into any major expenditure.

Regards

John

Can the brake pedal return completely? There is a bolt in the black pedal box, the part in the engine bay, that acts as a pedal stop. If the master cylinder piston can't return far enough, the smal valve in the master cyl. stays closed and the brake fluid can't return from the lines to the reservoir. At every apply of the brakes, a little fluid is pumped in the lines that can't return in the reservoir. To control, try to push back a brake pad with a screwdriver, this should be possible without great effort. You can take away the bolt (pedal stop) and watch the effect.

I had a similar problem with my clutch master,almost ruining the clutch.The piston had got stuck half-way down.It sounds like you had the same thing especially as you mention rebulidind it.

I had never believed in changing the seals on any cylinders and my experience has confirmed that.

Get new ones and you can forget about them!

Julian

• 2 weeks later...

A friend had a similar problem where the brakes

seemed to be seized, or so he thought, but when he flipped out of overdrive, the brakes were normal.  He found that the problem was somewhere in his overdrive.

Don Elliott, Montreal, Canada

Thanks to all for their comments.

I have slackened everything off in the pedal linkage so that I am sure that teh piston can return and so far not had a repeat performance.  (although I'm pretty sure that it could return all the way before)

Have bought a new cylinder which I will fit when I get chance.

Don, it definitely was the brakes!  They were smoking and I couldn't push the car!

Dave