Hi Can anyone explain why my heater doers not work on my car a 3A the control knob on the inside of the car works but no heat within the car.

Thanks

Pete

Pete,

Yes, in cold weather it’s a bit hard to tell if they are working. (I once nearly froze a girlfriend when I forgot to open the passenger heater door). Does the blower work –just cold air? If so is the valve on the back of the head open? Are both of the heater hoses hot to the touch? Is the cooling system full and free of air. Hope this helps.

Tom

If the blower works when the knob on the dash is turned, and air of some sort is pushed out when the heater flaps are opened and the scuttle vent is opened to admit fresh air to the heater matrix, then either the heater tap on the cylinder header is closed or blocked, or the heater hoses and/or heater matrix are blocked.

The engine block around the rear two liners is notorious for silting up and you will need to try flushing and back-flushing the system. Lots of advice on how best to do this are already on the Forum, so try searching for 'overheating' or 'cooling'. First try removing both the taps and poking with a bent piece of stiff wire to see if any water is in the area. Then systematically flush each part of the cooling system.

Edited by BrianC

I have found that rather than using a piece of wire you should use a large plastic cable tie. It has the advantage of being able to be temporarily pre bent to get round the first corner and then you can rotate it to act as a flexible reamer!

Also remove the drain tap on the side of the block and do the same.