i am now the proud owner of a 1958 TR3a - black and georgeous - now the fun starts!!!

a couple of bits of information would be helpful from any 3a nuts out there as she didn't have a lot of history prior to 1997 when she was reimported.

her commission number is TS25733 and is an original right hand drive registered in Dublin march 1958 (i am still digging for more information from Eire)

First daft question, she is a 3a, but why does the badge say 3, i have read that triumph did not designate the 3a as a separate model, is this the reason?

The gearbox has only overdrive in 3rd and 4th, is this normal? it was on my MGBGTV8.

She has what looks like new, separate brake and clutch master cylinders that are each piped to a separate, common reservoir that looks original but leaks slightly. I would like to replace the reservoir but havn't seen one with 2 connections like mine, all the info i have read refers to a common block brake and clutch master cylinders with an integral reservoir, is mine a mod or just a 3a variation?

She also has a limited slip differential, is this also a mod?

The kenlow fan works a treat (got caught in traffic with the outside temp nearly 30 degs and no problem) but keeps the engine temp around 175 - 180 is this ok? i can adjust it via a stat but, as the fan will not run with the ignition off, i find the temperature creeps up a little when not running.

any help would be appreciated

mant thanks

peter

phoenixbes@aol.com

This car has been registered with us before, I will e-mail you the previous owner details.

On your other queries, you are right about the badge although it is not the same as the TR3 badge, that one has TRIUMPH along the bottom of the badge as well as TR3 at the top.  The TRIUMPH was deleted from the badge on the TR3 1958 model (as the factory called what we call the TR3A) as the word TRIUMPH appeared in chrome letters on the front apron.  As yours is a fairly early 3A the badge should be red.

The overdrive should operate on 2nd as well, maybe one of the isolator switches on the gearbox cover is not working or not there.

Your master cylinders are correct for a disc braked car.  The one piece unit was found on the Lockheed system fitted to TR2s and early TR3s with drum brakes.

The lsd would have been a later addition.

Normal operating temp is around 185 deg F.

yes mike the badge is a TR3 1958 model but is chrome and blue?

will i be shot at dawn?

then again the car was originally white and is now black!

many thanks

keep the info coming

peter

My brake/clutch reservoir was a bit leaky as well when I rebuilt my braking system.  I seem to remember that replacements were either unavailable or very expensive.

I found that the unions on the bottom of the reservoir were leaking and not the reservoir itself.  They can be removed by using a socket with extension bar on the inside and this then allows you to replace the fibre washers between the unions and the body of the reservoir which were the cause of the leak.

My overdrive only operated opn 3rd and 4th as well (or it would do if it worked), and it transpired that somewhere in the cars history it had acquired a gearbox from a '74 Triumph 2000 with a J type gearbox.

Dave

Hi Dave

a J type gearbox from a 74 Triumph 2000 in a 3a?

was this a 'bolt on' straight swop or a major modification exercise?

i know a lot of car manufacturers at this time used the same major components with minor improvements for many years but thought that after the TR6 the construction moved away from chassis' manufacture and engine, gearbox etc. changed radically.

is there a way of finding out what components were 'compatable between triumphs as this would mean a huge source of goodies sitting in scrapyards everywhere!

peter

ps thanks for the tip on the reservoir i'll give it a go.

Pete,

I like the idea of compiling a list of interchangeable parts.  Does any one know of one?

The gearbox is not a straightforward swap.  Having looked at this in some detail, there are a number of ways of making the switch.  There is also a lot of useful info in a recent thread on this forum.  Marvmul has actually done the swap, a previous owner did mine and I have still not quite worked out exactly how.  

The principal issues are:

Saloon gearbox input shaft is different to TR, therefore use saloon clutch parts (and fly wheel?)

Bellhousing bolt ring is difefrent; need to re-drill some holes.

Rear gearbox mount is further back on J type gearboxes and a new mount needs to be bought/fabricated.

Output flange needs to be replaced/redrilled.

Speedo drive in overdrive needst to be replaced for the TR speedo to read right.  (this bit is easy and relatively cheap, by the way)

The new Moss catalogue also has some info, as does the "Buckeye Triumph" website in the states.

If you lready have an overdrive box that works, I don't think that there is much point in considering this mod, but it is an economical way of converting a non-overdrive car.

Dave

Dave. I have a list of interchangeable spares which was given to me when I recently bought my tr4. Its some 40 double pages long and is a TR register print covering the tr2 - 4a. dated 1993. Problem is its printed with the permission of the British Motor Heritage to whom the copyright belongs.

It may be that the TR Register office still has it in print.

It covers 18 different cars in the Standard Triumph range

:D

dave and rex

have i opened a can of worms?

hopefully they are tasty ones!!

the spares list rex refers to covers TR2 - 4a bits which is not really my point as the chassis and components of these cars were essentially the same. (and cost 2 arms and 2 legs to replace)

i am interested in the interchangable components from the saloon triumphs such as 2000, dolomite etc. models which are relatively cheap moldering in scrapyards everywhere and maybe a rich source of pickings?

peter

Is there any way that the register could get permission to post it on the forum or make it available electronically?

I must confess that I'm not sure who to talk to at the register . Does anyone know of a list of register publications?

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Pete, I did not see any response on your fan switching problem. As you know the fuse box, ok not real box, has a permanent power side and an ignition circuit side. If you connect the fan on the permanent side it will continue running until switched off by the thermo switch  :)

To overcome any battery problems it's recommended to fit a

battery cut-off switch, should the fan switch fail in one way or another and unintentionally switch the fan on.

Jean

• 2 weeks later...

thanks jean

i thought we had drifted off the subject a tad (its what forums are all about)

i have looked at having a permanent live feed to the kenlow but have decided against it as the temperature only creeps up a little and with the engine off will only cool the water in the radiator and not the engine block (no water pump!)

peter