I have a spin on oil filter and an oil cooler adaptorplate with integrated thermostat on my tuned engine. I have no oiltemp gauge, but recently I got the feeling the oil is getting too hot. Further check showed that the oil cooler hoses are "cold". So I guess the thermostat is not opening.

- Does somebody has experience if the thermostat can be taken out (and leave it out)?

I guess it can, you do not need the thermostat anyway according Rev'tons comment on their web.

I've known too many thermostats jam to use them on oil coolers. If the car needs one then use the right size and/or tape over it if over cooled. The stat just gives another level of complication. Also wthout an oil temp guage how do you know its working/or not?

Jim

Jim, although of no help, thx for your comment, but your remarks give no answer on my question. (But you knew that already yourself I guess)

yes I know now that stats are of no use and yes they only complicate simple things. But to be honest I bought the kit  2nd hand and as new from a to me reliable source.

If you would have read my initial post you would know that I found out the hoses in and out are cold even with a more than hot engine. To me at least this tells me that there is no oil passing. No need to repeat I have no oiltemp meter I informed that as well. And believe it or not, I do not need a tempgauge to feel the diff. between hot or cold.

I am awaiting your reply (and I hope with valuable contribution to solve the problem). :angry:

Rudi, on my TR3 I've an oil cooler with the thermostat integrated in the adaptor too. I suppose it works  as it should. When the thermostat is closed, one of the hoses get warm slowly.

It's possible to fit a separate thermostat somewhere halfway the hoses. So why not follow Jim's suggestion and take away the thermostat. I think it's located after one of the big bolts.

If this brings along overcooling, you can fit the in line thermostat. As a bonus, this type is more accurate than the integrated one.I think without a thermostat the engine oil will stay too cool in most circumstances.

Hmm, Rudi by name & nature obviously. as I inferred in my mail, on every engine I've been involved it we've NEVER run stats as they jam and can trash engines if not noticed. If the pipes are both cold then their is no flow, or in your terms as I said the thing has jammed. Take the stat off and throw it in the bin and run it without it. For road use on a four pot I'd suspect a 10 row would be more than enough or if highly tuned then a 13. BUT you'll need a temp guage for road use to see whether you need to tank tape it and how do you know you need an oil cooler anyway!!!  In the winter they can be a serious pain because you'll never achieve sensible oil temps. For road use the best oil coolers are the doughnut types which sit behind the oil filter and link to the heater, these are equivalent to a 10 row assuming the rad can cope.

Clear enough & helpful enough????

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your advise. Cinnobar, I did not mean to be rud(i)e but your last post was a lot more helpful than the first one, thanks for that. :)

I guess I will install an oiltemp gauge, but I will have to install a combined oil pressure/Water temp meter (Smiths) at the same time in order to free space for the oiltemp gauge. This is all pretty expensive. Can a watertemp gauge be used as an oil temp gauge as well?

Does anyone has such a 2nd hand combined gauge for sale ?

I don't think a water temp gauge will do as accepted wisdom says that the oil should be running at about 110 deg C. I fitted an oil temp gauge to my tuned 3A and fitted an oil cooler at the same time(without the stat ... I'd heard they can jam) but I have only once seen any temp over about 50 deg C and that was running 75 miles down the motorway fast. It still only got to about 110 deg & came down to 70 deg within a few miles of coming off the motorway. So do I need an oil cooler .... probably NOT!!!! The sender on my gauge is in the sump. Demon tweeks sell electrical gauges, with full fitting kit, for about £25.