Replacing steering column bushes

Looking to replace the two steering column bushes on VUX soon (got a little bit of play), and wondered whether it was a straight forward job (as per the workshop manual) or whether there are any pit falls to watch out for, or useful tips (need for special tools?) that could be passed on?

What are the best bushes out there?

Cheers

Andrew

If you have a steering lock then it makes it a bit more tricky as you can't remove the inner column without removing the bushes first (& when re-assembling, remember to put the column in before the second bush).

The outer column is seriously soft alloy - take care of it. Use a sharp knife to remove the locating pips from the old bushes before removal. I usually knock the top bush down into the column and leave it there for extra support.

Line up the locating pips for the new bushes before insertion as they are a devil to turn once inserted.

RTR offer upgraded bushes I believe but haven't tried them yet. Any improvement over the original is worth trying as they aren't a brilliant design.

Check the steering column earth link wires for continuity on reassembly, they're frequently worn or missing.

Jerry

I had MoT fail due to 'steering column bushes'. Turned out busges were fien but steering lock has worked loose on dash supports: easier to remedy. Worth checking first!

Looking to replace the two steering column bushes on VUX soon (got a little bit of play), and wondered whether it was a straight forward job (as per the workshop manual) or whether there are any pit falls to watch out for, or useful tips (need for special tools?) that could be passed on?

What are the best bushes out there?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

I have fitted two sets in recent times, one was straightforward, the other a nightmare.

The easiest was of removing the old bushes I found was to cut of the locating nibs with a blade and then set them alight with a propane torch, removal is then easy. Sounds drastic but worked well!!

Fitting new bushes of the original design is straightforward providing you lubricate them and align them beforehand. The modified design versions were a pain, I destroyed two sets trying to install them, the only way I found of installing them into the tube was to compress them with a worm clip and drive them into the column tube with extreme care.

Don't know if it's a common problem but on both the TR's in question removing the Speedo and the Tacho from the dash was problematic due to the seal between the instruments and the dash breaking down and becoming very sticky and effectively bonding the instruments into the dash.

Good luck

Andy

Hi folks,

Thanks for the advice and tips, much to chew over and consider – I’ll check the steering lock, thanks for the pointer Jerry.

On Bob (yellow TR6) Danielson’s website (provided by Guy) he uses Delrin bushes which can be used without removing the old ones – has anyone used these and are they available in the UK?

Guy,

Did you cut off the locating tabs on the Revingtons bushes to install them or are they similar to the Delrin bushes used by Bob Danielson, as I can’t see how original design bushes can be fitted without removing the steering column and cowl etc?

Stuart,

Spoke with Baldrick tonight – nope, he hasn’t started it yet……………

Cheers

Andrew

I carefully drilled off the locating pips then lubricated the tube copiously with a silicone spray. I then passed a longish piece of round bar through one bush and up to the other one at a slight angle so as to catch the edge of the bush. I then banged the other end of the bar on the garage floor and the bush was forced out. Repeat for the other one. New bushes installed by even more lube and a piece of broomstick plus the aforementioned garage floor.

Other methods are available.

Hi Andrew,

I changed mine a few years ago and found that with a little care it was easily done without removing the outer column from the car. I think this is detailed somewhere in the technicalities CD. It is possible if you have the column-fitted steering lock because the inner column, once disconnected from the flexible coupling and sliding joint, can be used like a slide hammer to remove the upper bush (having cut off the ears if you wish to make it easier).

The inner column then comes out into the car and you can drift, or as I did, use a length of threaded rod (inserted straight through where the inner column was) and some washers/nuts/sockets to remove the lower one through the bottom of the outer column into the engine bay.

Refit the new lower bush from the engine bay side using the threaded bar to pull it in, insert the inner column and then you can push the upper bush in using an appropriate sized tube. Getting that upper bush 'started' was the only slightly tricky bit. You need to take care not to damage the outer column at the top and not to catch any of the switches / horn ring etc.

I think the whole job took less than a couple of hours out in the cold the night before the MOT... Easier to do than describe to be honest.

I would definitely use the Revington bushes, and leave the ears on. The modern equivalents of the standard ones are not good. TR shop also sells the same type as Revington I believe.

Ben

Thanks for the good advice chaps.

I'll contact Bill at Revs tomorrow; although I think both Moss and the TR Shop supply Rev's uprated bushes too.

Cheers

Andrew

I did the bushes on my 5 about 7 years ago got them from tr shop they were the uprated ones and I had no problems.

I took the steering column out and knocked the old bushes out with a broom handle then I put a little bit of

vaseline on the new bushes then lined them up and knocked them in with the broom handle, Job done.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave.