Cooling Fans - Mechanical vs electric

My 4a has run quite happily on just an engine fan for the last seventeen years and even sitting in traffic on the hottest days the temperature never goes over normal. Mind you I have a plastic TR6 fan and a header tank ;)

Stuart

......He had thought about a 6-bladed fan, just never got round to it.

Ahhhh, the good old 6-blade tropical fan - the best ST accessory you can put on a 4-pot engine, if you can find one ;); my Kenlowe blower hardly ever comes on now, and then only in heavy traffic on a very hot day – not even the weather at CLM last year (40 deg C) could prompt it to come on.............maybe it’s broken?! :huh::D

Cheers

Andrew

Rob, I'd suggest getting one of the solid state voltage stabilizers off eBay. this will give you rock solid instrument behaviour. I've got one of these http://motors-parts.shop.ebay.co.uk/Classic-Car-Parts-/18323/i.html?_nkw=solid+state+voltage+stabilizer&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Andy

I'm beginning to think that I'm the only person left on the planet whose TR4 still has a mechanical fan which has never, ever overheated. :unsure:

Well, at least not in the 14 years that I've owned it. ;)

Regards

Peter

Easy said if you are living in England with your narrow roads and speed limits on the motorways.

I Germany the aluminum wings of the fan do rip off at high speed use and might damage the radiator or the bonnet.

So over here some people change to electrical units....and as a bargain you also help the crank with a better balancing as the steel fan has often a geometrical or weight unbalance and cause vibration to the crank....especially when run at 5000 rpm for hours.

Cheers

Chris

Rob,

For what it is worth, I have a 4A fitted with a wide belt, 70 degree thermostat and a TR6 yellow plastic fan. 7lb radiator cap. Setup works a treat. No overheating and the heater warms up quickly. Been fine for 4 years and over 8000 miles.

I fitted the 70 degree thermostat because that's what it says in the manual; I bought it at a Beaulieu jumble. The TR6 fan was already fitted when I bought the car.

Horse

I think I will fit a Revotec fan kit as it seems to be the best option - anyone used this kit?

I have the Revotec on my car... seems okay to me! Easy to install as well! Bonus!!:D

The thermostatic switch (on my kit) fits into the top hose and can be adjusted to run at whatever temp you desire... Within reason no doubt!

Brgds

Hello guys,

Overheating ? Yes, it can be a problem with the crank fan <_< .

Classic Le Mans 2010' : at the end of the track laps, my TR2 was boiling in the queuing for going out of the circuit.

I don't want to remove the mechanical fan, and no room enough for an electric fan if I don't remove the mechanical one....

Chris.

Chris,

you could put the E-fan on the front of the rad (pusher) and leave the mech fan where it is.

Roger

oops - just noticed you are refering to a TR2. Does that not have the room forward of the rad.

Edited by RogerH

Chris,

you could put the E-fan on the front of the rad (pusher) and leave the mech fan where it is.

Roger

Not on a TR2 as there isnt room enough even for the slimmest of fans to go between the rad and the grille.

Stuart.

Yes, Stuart is correct : no room enough, or I should put the fan outside, at the front of the grill. No way, it's ugly !

Chris.