Rough Running when cold

Hi everyone,my 1972 6PI fires around 3rd attempt but needs a bit of coaxing with choke/throttle to keep running.(I use fuel additive) After about 2 mins runs fine.It has been like that since I bought it 4 years ago and assumed it was part of the fun of ownership. I took it to local garage for MOT and a tune up they told me it was not how it should be and might be a problem with injectors or cold start?. I think they were not to sure about PI system and glad they left well alone. Any ideas or reccomendations to expert garages within 25 miles of Milton Keynes would be welcomed.

Sounds as though the fast idle cam needs adjusting, or maybe the cable is missing. Your choke (sorry, fuel enrichment device) cable should split into two. One goes to the metering unit and one to the fast idle cam under the throttle bodies.

No dont think its a problem. The choke and fast idle are needed till the engine gets (and other bits) warm up, and a few minutes is around the same as my previous 3 TR6's and now TR5. If it runs fine when its warm leave well alone. Dosent sound like the garage is all that up to speed with 40year old cars. Ist all done with sensors and electronics on modern cars so you dont notice its fuel enrichment and fast idle....

Relax and enjoy

Robin

You'll probably need the attachments for the end of the cable as well. Check to see whether they were removed. The fast idle used to be disconnected, often with the cable shortened, as a damage reduction measure to deal with the likelihood that all the oil would have drained back out of the filter into the sump. Presumably it was thought to reduce the likelihood of fast unlubricated running. With the substitute spin-on filters, fitted so they don't drain back, the problem disappears.

My only problem is that I cannot get a sufficient purchase on the back of the choke/enrichment fixing to undo it from the console and I'm too lazy to take the whole thing out. So I have yet to get around to fitting my new double cable and reinstating my fast idle.

My MOT garage has never complained about the cold rough running. But some of them are old enough to remember manual chokes from new.

Anthony

Spot on Pete choke has only 1 cable going to metering unit other appears to have been cut off I will order correct choke cable. Thanks all for your input.

Mick

Thats going to hurt as the twin cables are expensive :(

Stuart.