Help - New owner of a TR4

Hi Folks,

There I was looking for a Magenta TR6 for the last few months, then bought a red TR4, but I guess that's how it goes? So, I'm now in for a learning curve of the 4 pot cars after having the 6 pots in the past.

It's a 1962 car, with a TR Register sticker in the window, so I assume the previous owner was in the Register, but I bought it from a dealer. Reg No. VFF 959, an ex USA car, owned by previous person since 1995. Can anyone shed any light on the car's history?

The car has a couple of issues to sort around the dashboard, which looks like it's made of plywood! The switches, knobs and heater controls are in different states of disrepair and I could do with knowing what is supposed to be where and what it should do. Likewise the vent on the outside, which I assume should open with a leaver from within! Can anyone recommend any good books with this kind of detail?

The underneath is very clean and no rust anywhere on the tub or wings and it hasn't really been out of the garage much this past few years, and clearly only on dry days, but I intend to drive it regularly regardless of weather, so I need to put some protection underneath.

Can anyone please recommend the best material to apply beneath the wings? Also, I am going to get a set of Revington's wheel arch liners and then once the protection is on, my foot will also be on... the loud pedal.

And what about the chassis? Shall I paint it or waxoil it?

Thanks for any help and guidance on the above points, which will be gratefully received.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Congratulations on your new 4 pot TR – an excellent choice ;)

Regarding books I’d recommend you get a copy of the TR4 / 4A / 5 Technical Publications CD from the Register Shop. This has copies of the original workshop manuals and parts publications. Should certainly help you sort out positions of controls and instruments.

As regards history of your car try contacting the TR4 / 4A registrar (John Marshall). His contact details are on the back page of TRAction. You can also send the DVLA a fiver and they will give you the details they have on file of previous owners. Having said all that I suspect someone will be along in a moment that knows the car – the reg is pretty distinctive.

Regarding the scuttle vent it should be connected by a thin rod to a lever under the dash just to the right of where the H-frame meets the dash. I believe it is a bit fiddly to reconnect / replace the rod but not a major job.

On chassis treatment I’d go with waxoil if you are going to be using the car year round.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the car !

John A

Hello Dave,

Congratulations on your new 4 pot TR – an excellent choice ;)

Regarding books I'd recommend you get a copy of the TR4 / 4A / 5 Technical Publications CD from the Register Shop. This has copies of the original workshop manuals and parts publications. Should certainly help you sort out positions of controls and instruments.

As regards history of your car try contacting the TR4 / 4A registrar (John Marshall). His contact details are on the back page of TRAction. You can also send the DVLA a fiver and they will give you the details they have on file of previous owners. Having said all that I suspect someone will be along in a moment that knows the car – the reg is pretty distinctive.

Regarding the scuttle vent it should be connected by a thin rod to a lever under the dash just to the right of where the H-frame meets the dash. I believe it is a bit fiddly to reconnect / replace the rod but not a major job.

On chassis treatment I'd go with waxoil if you are going to be using the car year round.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the car !

John A

Dave

I won't repeat John's sage advice, all good.

So just a warm welcome to the TR4 clan, I also have a '62 TR4 having 'almost' bought a 6 pot (OMG), so, right choice, great car, enjoy as intended :D

I assume you're already hooked up with your local group, if not, can I recommend that you do.............its the best way to get to know your new FOUR, trust me, what ever it is, somebody in the group has been there before you :lol::lol::lol:

Welcome to the TR4 fraternity! 50th anniversary this year.

On the protection front you could try Chassis Clean : http://115.124.111.172/chassisclean/.

They use Dinitrol and you can have a variety of treatments including clear if you want to keep things looking natural. You'll see a couple of photos of my car being treated in the gallery.

There is a Shropshire TR group and they are a nice bunch of lads, so I'm sure you will make a connection there.

Enjoy the car

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and guidance.

I am connected with the Shropshire group and we also have a new TSSC group that I am a member of, as I also drive a Spitfire, which is staying with me for the forseeable as I am visualising a three car garage of Triumphs at the moment.

Books and cds have been ordered, thanks again for advice and offers of help and spares too. Regarding the waxoil type protection, when speaking with the company that I bought the car from today, they said they would give it the full treatment for £50.00, which was amazing.

It was MoT'd this morning, tuned, road tested and is having a full workshop inspection tomorrow, prior to delivery next week. They even ordered a new battery for it as the other seemed to be getting a little old. The service has been fantastic.

Strangely enough, I rang about this car in early December as it seemed like a bargain, but left it as there wasn't much history with it. The car kept calling me back though and when I rang last week about it, I said I couldn't get over for another week. They said, don't worry, nobody has been looking at it. When speaking to them today, they said, 'Are you sure you're happy with the car as we've had two emails and a phone call this morning from people very hot to buy it. I just felt like it was one of those cars with 'your name' on it. As we were looking at it, believe it or not, a Peacock Butterfly flew up in front of it. A good omen perhaps.

All the best everyone and thanks or your help.

Dave

It isnt only Revington that make the wing liners CTM do a great set too, also they are the ONLY maker of new TR chassis, and are a good firm too.

Dont know the difference in cost, but I would think fit and quality are on a par.

It isnt only Revington that make the wing liners CTM do a great set too, also they are the ONLY maker of new TR chassis, and are a good firm too.

Dont know the difference in cost, but I would think fit and quality are on a par.

That's good to know. I'll look them up and make a comparison.

For those interested, I also made a post in the TR6 Forum today (31st Jan) about an interesting product for protecting wheel arches that I used in the 80s on my TR6. Post is titled Wheel Arch Rim Protection... or similar.

Dave

David

Well done, I'm sure you will be delighted with your TR4. :D

Come on now, where are the pictures of your car? We need to drool...

Regards

Peter

Edited by dykins

Here is the link.........

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C187455/

Not sure about the Alloy Wheels :(

Thanks for putting the link up. I haven't figured out how to add photos yet.

You are not the first to comment on the wheels, Marko. Even the people I bought it from said they had to go. Anyone desire to make me an offer? Well, you've got to try. :-))

David

Well done, I'm sure you will be delighted with your TR4. :D

Come on now, where are the pictures of your car? We need to drool...

Regards

Peter

I'm not sure about the drooling. It is a bit of an animal, fast road and rorty, but not a spec of rust. All original paint underneath the wheel arches and chassis. I can't believe it has been for sale since August. I actually enquired about it in early December and it kept calling me back. An exciting project and can't wait for it to arrive. Marko has kindly put the link up now. Doesn't miss a trick does he? Finger on the pulse.

Dave

Hi David,

that style of alloy is popular enough on more recent Japanese machinery, there are plenty of Jap cars that share the TR's 4.5" 4-stud pcd. You'll probably get more joy moving them towards the nippobox than the TR fraternity, they are attractive enough wheels in themselves, just not best suited to a 1960s TR.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Folks,

There I was looking for a Magenta TR6 for the last few months, then bought a red TR4, but I guess that's how it goes? So, I'm now in for a learning curve of the 4 pot cars after having the 6 pots in the past.

It's a 1962 car, with a TR Register sticker in the window, so I assume the previous owner was in the Register, but I bought it from a dealer. Reg No. VFF 959, an ex USA car, owned by previous person since 1995. Can anyone shed any light on the car's history?

The car has a couple of issues to sort around the dashboard, which looks like it's made of plywood! The switches, knobs and heater controls are in different states of disrepair and I could do with knowing what is supposed to be where and what it should do. Likewise the vent on the outside, which I assume should open with a leaver from within! Can anyone recommend any good books with this kind of detail?

The underneath is very clean and no rust anywhere on the tub or wings and it hasn't really been out of the garage much this past few years, and clearly only on dry days, but I intend to drive it regularly regardless of weather, so I need to put some protection underneath.

Can anyone please recommend the best material to apply beneath the wings? Also, I am going to get a set of Revington's wheel arch liners and then once the protection is on, my foot will also be on... the loud pedal.

And what about the chassis? Shall I paint it or waxoil it?

Thanks for any help and guidance on the above points, which will be gratefully received.

Dave

Hi David, if you are interested theres a couple us guys Prees way with trs.I personal have ex us tr4a and if you are interested you are more than welcome to have a look at her to see where everything fits .

Grafton

PM sent.

Dave

Hi David,

that style of alloy is popular enough on more recent Japanese machinery, there are plenty of Jap cars that share the TR's 4.5" 4-stud pcd. You'll probably get more joy moving them towards the nippobox than the TR fraternity, they are attractive enough wheels in themselves, just not best suited to a 1960s TR.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

That is very useful to know and with all the pressure about these wheels, I guess they are going to have to go fairly soon.

I'm going to post another question on the forum with regard to wheels and sizes, etc.

I'm very grateful for your input.

Dave

Hi Dave,

unfortunately I'm not well up on the detail of what models take which wheel fitment amongst the Japanese ranges, but there is a lot of info on some of the alloy wheel supplier sites in terms of number of studs, pcd, centre hole diameter, offset, etc by make and model. To achieve a decent price on ebay, perhaps a case for some serious googling to ascertain potential model fitments for your listing ? Need I add that many websites ignore 4.5" in favour of 114.3mm pcd . . . .

Cheers,

Alec