Help!

My recently professionally fitted overdrive has suddenly stopped working, I guess that the solenoid wire has come adrift and if I can fix it myself it will save a long journey to the garage that fitted it( highly respectable ,no complaints)Where will this wire connection be ,can I get at it fom under the car or do I need to remove the transmission tunnel...sorry for being lazy but this could save hours!!

Regards

Roger

More likely off at the relay which should be on bottom of rear of battery box, just above the centre of the gearbox tunnel. Wires sometimes come off if you move the carpets (e.g. for cleaning).

I think there is usually also a bullet connector in the harness which should be accessible under the tunnel carpet.

Edited by BrianC

Hi Roger

What can you see if you remove the gearbox filler plug hole in the tunnel?

I learned a good lesson from Don Elliott in that when the tunnel is out, cut a hole in the side next to the solenoid and fill it with a rubber grommet that you remove to put the jack through. This means you can change a solenoid without removing the tunnel (a lengthy job) but you will need two small hole higher up round the tunnel to get a long blade screw driver in through to remove the two screws. To test the solenoid, take a wire direct from the battery and touch it to the grey wire coming out of the solenoid, it should operate it, if not you have a duff solenoid.

In Canada we all have LHD TRs so when my overdrive stopped (more than once), I lifted the carpet and found that I had done it. My right heel had undone a bayonet connector - just by the carpet moving backwards and forwards under my heel and right over the connector.

I have added the photos that let me change my solenoid in 20 minutes or less. Most of those 20 minutes are spent unloading the boot to get the spare solenoid and my screwdriver out. The large hole is filled with a rubber plug for the hole for the jack and the two top holes are to permit me to use my long screwdriver to unscrew the round-head screws which you can see securing the solenoid.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.The problem as you suggested was a wire disconnected under the carpet.All is working fine now.This register is a delight to belong to as everyone is so helpful.

Thanks again

Roger