TR Fender Skirts / Spats

Hello all,

Well ... I guess you either love 'em, or you hate 'em!

As for me, I became overwhelmingly converted to "spats" several years ago, after seeing the grainy footage of Triumph's own test driver Ken Richardson tearing down the measured mile at 124mph behind the wheel of his "speed trim" TR2 at the 1953 Speed Trials in Jabbeke, Belgium. I personally think they make a pretty handsome addition to any side screen TR. (But hey, to each his own...!)

Admiring them of course, is one thing. Actually getting your hands on a set is another matter entirely!

I presently drive a (steel wheel) '59 TR3A, and I would dearly love to discover if anyone (or any company) is currently reproducing these particular aftermarket parts.

Any information (or indeed, your own opinions or pics of fender skirts / spats in general) would of course be very gratefully received.

Many thanks all,

Kind regards,

Joe.

Hi Joe,

As far as I know (I'm no expert) Standard Triumph never sold any of the aerodynamic equipment used on the speed trial and race cars, spats or skirts included. While I've seen these skirts on an occasional car, I've not noticed them in accessory catalogs either but perhaps I haven't found the right one. Lacking a source for ready made skirts, what about getting a pair made? It seems like an interesting sheet metal project and appears to be within the capability of an average amateur panel beater and certainly any pro. Here's an idea from JCWhitney on how to attach them: Skirt Installation Instructions

Tom

Joe, the Rear Wheel Cover Kit was listed as a S-T accessory for TR2 under p/n 552083, but it's been suggested the factory quietly discontinued them after reports of overheating rear brakes.

Repro spats with fixings were offered a few years back by The Roadster Factory in PA, USA, also under p/n 552083. You could contact them to see if any remain in stock.

The original Stanpart spats I've seen came in red oxide primer ready for topcoat to suit.

They attached at 4 x points around the mudguard lip, including a spring clip at the rear.

Regards,

Viv.

Joe, the Rear Wheel Cover Kit was listed as a S-T accessory for TR2 under p/n 552083, but it's been suggested the factory quietly discontinued them after reports of overheating rear brakes.

Repro spats with fixings were offered a few years back by The Roadster Factory in PA, USA, also under p/n 552083. You could contact them to see if any remain in stock.

The original Stanpart spats I've seen came in red oxide primer ready for topcoat to suit.

They attached at 4 x points around the mudguard lip, including a spring clip at the rear.

Regards,

Viv.

TRF lists them as NLS..

T23 WHEEL COVER KIT,SPATS (DISNLS

0$0.00

$0.000No Longer Stocked

I think there was a pink TR3 on the recent Triumph video that had spats (the guy was complaining about them).

Stan

TS2 has rear wheel spats, and the pair fitted originally when the car was rebuilt, did not fit properly.

The Trustees decided that a better pair were required, and the car had them at Malvern last summer. The discarded set were flogged on the Buy & Sell stand. However, it means that someone was capable of producing the spats and Bill Piggott ("weewilly" on the Forum, and chief of the Trustees) will know the details - I suggest a PM to him.

I fail to see how a Sports Car can be equipped with these abominations, which don't help brake cooling one bit and mean that a wheel change becomes a major operation. Spats are for boulevard cruisers. Just my opinion, of course!

Ian Cornish

Hi Joe,

A compagnie called Roth brothers British in the States used to make the spats. I have a letter with the installation information.

Some guy was selling his spats on Ebay for about a year ago that's were I took the pictures from.

If you are interrested I can sent you the drawing and letter including the pictures.

Kind Regards

Remo Frederiks

TS 1137LO (Tr2, restoration project)

TS 21721LO (Tr3, smallmout restored)

CT 29139LO (Tr4, using classical rally)

Http://www.triumph-tr3.nl

TS2 has rear wheel spats, and the pair fitted originally when the car was rebuilt, did not fit properly.

The Trustees decided that a better pair were required, and the car had them at Malvern last summer. The discarded set were flogged on the Buy & Sell stand. However, it means that someone was capable of producing the spats and Bill Piggott ("weewilly" on the Forum, and chief of the Trustees) will know the details - I suggest a PM to him.

I fail to see how a Sports Car can be equipped with these abominations, which don't help brake cooling one bit and mean that a wheel change becomes a major operation. Spats are for boulevard cruisers. Just my opinion, of course!

Ian Cornish

Hear, hear, my opinion too, Ian.

Cheers,

John

Damn Right Ian and John,

Spats looked daft enough on Yank Tanks of the landship aircraft carrier era, a bit like women wearing floor length skirts over wellington boots. Adorning a TR or any other sports car with the damn things is beyond comprehension. As one notorious TR wag exclaimed at the first sight of TS2, "that's like having a wife on the pill - and still using rubber johnnies". Quite so.

Cheers,

Alec

Spats as used for UK sporting cars did improve drag and increase speed, although hotter brakes were always an issue, allegedly. Drum brakes were never much good for high speeds.

The Bentley R Type Continetal in it's original form, my MKVI has compromise ones and the XK120 had them, so they were definitely fashionable on sporting cars at the time. Before anyone asks I'd point out that MKVIs wer sold as "Silent Sports Cars" I have the brochure to prove it. The handling is excellent and the car well balanced, it's the Clouds on that wallow and scudder horribly.

Ash

In spite of the measured negative recommendations from some readers, here are the auction results: Spats auction results

And reserve not met. Go figure???

Tom

Many thanks indeed Tom!

I was beginning to feel a bit out numbered in my appreciation of the humble spats ( ... or "abominations" as some fellow members so fondly put it!). But as the recent US Ebay auction proves, there is clearly a demand for them - and it appears they consistently command high prices.

(Incidentally, after discovering there are no regular suppliers of these parts, I am now looking to have a pair custom made here in the UK.)

All the best,

Joe.

Many thanks indeed Tom!

I was beginning to feel a bit out numbered in my appreciation of the humble spats ( ... or "abominations" as some fellow members so fondly put it!). But as the recent US Ebay auction proves, there is clearly a demand for them - and it appears they consistently command high prices.

(Incidentally, after discovering there are no regular suppliers of these parts, I am now looking to have a pair custom made here in the UK.)

All the best,

Joe.

Joe,

The comment from AlecP was on strictly functional considerations and

(as Alec is wont to do) - strongly stated. You'll get used to his style -

it's fun.

IMO, TRs were made to satisfy many different aspects of motoring - a

fast cheapish sports car that could be used for normal sporty driving,

upgraded a little for rallying or racing and with a few period 'style'

accessories such as the spats for a bit of period style for those who

wanted it.

They were rarely specified so are very rare but do give a 'period' look.

Personally, I can't see that they would have a significant effect on brakes

overheating but you wouldn't use them for racing or rallying.

But you would see them fitted for for a speed trial!

I've seen them go for more like $2000 so no surprise that the recent

auction didn't reach the reserve price.

AlanR

Hi,

The spats in the auction mentioned above:

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TR2-TR3-TR3A-Triumph-Spats-Skirts-/250765439759?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a62c8f30f)

are the ones supplied by The roadster factory back in the 80´. They are not spring mounted, but bolted onto the rear fender. The original ones are locked in place with a spring michanism.

Cheers,

Esben

Hi,

The spats in the auction mentioned above:

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TR2-TR3-TR3A-Triumph-Spats-Skirts-/250765439759?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a62c8f30f)

are the ones supplied by The roadster factory back in the 80´. They are not spring mounted, but bolted onto the rear fender. The original ones are locked in place with a spring michanism.

Cheers,

Esben

Ah, that explains why they didn't attract the high price

I've seen before for factory spats.

AlanR

The TRF copy spats were not that wonderful, apart from the different mounting method the profile is not quite right compared to the originals - OK, not that far out, but enough, the same kind of thing as repro TR4 wings . . . . put an original and a repro side by side and there'd be no doubt as to which is which.

On the assumption that you have to be a sewn-in anorak to want the blessed things in the first place, then spats that aren't quite right don't really cut the mustard . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

• 10 years later...

I love the look. I have been looking for a pair for a few years. If I could get the pattern I would make them. The Roadster co told me that they don’t have the pattern anymore. If anyone can help with that we can have them made for ourselves and then sell them 

the roadster co still has the attachment hardware 

John Henry Adams

Atlanta Georgia USA

quite easy to make, made some for mine, pictures below, for fixings i used discrete brackets, used the way they would have been fixed originally, i did use four fixing points rather than the three fixing points, though no springs are used unlike the originals, the fixings are very secure with no wobble or likelihood of a spat coming off, It does require sanding the wing flange to get a spot welder on to weld the brackets, best done on a restoration as you would need to take finished paint off an on the road car, when the spats are off you can't see the brackets only feel them, if you run your hand under the wheel arch and you may just cut your hand on them in doing so, obviously they are a fiddle to get on and off you do have to get on your back and shove your arm up and into the gap but it can be done  and you do not need a (small person to do it), probably the reason the factory decided to discontinue using them was partly the reason of fitting in roadside conditions and yes fashions and looks do change, yes i know that some are offended by them and get quite indignant about the fitting of them or seeing them fitted and yes they would have been more for the long door tr2, but at least when fitted you do have the option to use or not.

DSCF5420.JPG

DSCF5427 (1).JPG

DSCF5425 (1).JPG

Edited by R.M.

Looking at the picture in the parts book, how do the brackets fit to the wings. Presumably they must clamp on somehow to avoid damaging the paintwork.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker